• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Our first hand experience with an Acela 6x6 camper for 2 days. We made a video

Hello all

We have had our eye on Acela trucks for sometime now, we contacted them and begged them to let us have a truck for a few days.

Before handing us the keys and filling the gas tank they familiarized us with the build process and what really goes into producing a truck like this, needless to say I was taking notes as fast as I could but am certain I missed something along the way.

We all love these trucks and that's why we are here on this forum to learn, encourage one another, appreciate other ideas and to plan our very own builds. So maybe you will find something you like in this video :)

Cheers
Seth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLUbuoMXF6o&t=4s

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are they still using Cat engines? I thought Cat got out of the truck engine business due to them not being able to meet emission standards. Awesome vehicle!

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all

We have had our eye on Acela trucks for sometime now, we contacted them and begged them to let us have a truck for a few days.

Before handing us the keys and filling the gas tank they familiarized us with the build process and what really goes into producing a truck like this, needless to say I was taking notes as fast as I could but am certain I missed something along the way.

We all love these trucks and that's why we are here on this forum to learn, encourage one another, appreciate other ideas and to plan our very own builds. So maybe you will find something you like in this video :)

Cheers
Seth

Hope you and Mrs were well compensated for the product endorsement....................

ya get a new truck? LMBO!

Thanks

I wish we were but we were not paid any $ for this video, our goal is to bring awareness to the Acela brand and help keep them busy over there, then maybe we could be brand ambassadors or something for them, now that would be a good gig to get to drive one of those trucks around all the time :)

Seth

Hope you and Mrs were well compensated for the product endorsement....................

ya get a new truck? LMBO!

Thanks

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
$156K to start?.......A world i'll never live in.
I have a customer with a '66 427/425 Corvette and he spent $165K building the car (nut and bolt, total perfection restoration, date coded air in the tires kind of thing).

He already owned the car, so that doesn't include acquisition costs.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a customer with a '66 427/425 Corvette and he spent $165K building the car (nut and bolt, total perfection restoration, date coded air in the tires kind of thing).

He already owned the car, so that doesn't include acquisition costs.
Gotcha.....
People, their money, their choices .......
Not saying anything against trk or O.P. ......sure is comfy, "improved" and all that is claimed

Geeze, how much did Uncle Sugar pay for a deuce way back when and compare that to "modern" dollars.....

Slick endorsement.........

On the Corvette? Don't have an explanation for it, except he wanted it and could afford it.......back to the "their money" thingie.......
Hope ya enjoyed making the video. Family is important.....doing stuff together........liked the dogs harness with handle! Darn "handy" LOL......
too bad they didn't help ya out, with what ya did for the Remanufacturers! =(

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
On the Corvette? Don't have an explanation for it, except he wanted it and could afford it.......back to the "their money" thingie.......
A couple of things are happening in the antique car hobby.

Background: The Ferrari 250GTO is generally considered the most desirable "classic" car. Won LeMans, only 30-something built, beautiful, etc.

In 2013, one set a record, selling for 38 million dollars. Then, one sold for 52 million dollars, which caused a hilarious article in Forbes, where a Wall. St. banker who collects cars whined (with an astonishing and not surprising total lack of self awareness) "the billionaires are pushing the millionaires out of the car hobby".

And now, a 250 has pulled 70 million dollars.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/06/01/classic-1963-ferrari-250-gto-sold-for-record-70-million.html

This is why: as classic cars (be they Plymouth Road Runners or Porsches) go up and up in value, it prices the lower and middle class buyers completely out. Now, the only people buying them are the rich.

And because of this, they (the vehicles) enter into this Venezuela level of inflation, where they gain millions of dollars of value in a 12-18 month period for no good reason. This happens because the only person who can afford a $500K toy can also easily afford a $750K toy. A person who can blow $30million on a toy isn't going to feel any difference in spending another $10million. There is no downward pressure on prices. If iPhones went up $100, everyone would still buy them. If they went up $5,000, then only celebrities would buy them. But because the cars are so valuable at this point, there's no downward pressure from middle or lower class buyers.

It's like the difference between you and I buying a Dodge Ram SLT and a Dodge Ram Laramie. It's a few % points difference. No biggie.

The point I'm making is for the average owner of such a vehicle ($100-200K), it's like you or I buying a $5K deuce.

The other issue is that the cost to build a car to that level is absurd. I tell people you can get a 90% perfect car for $75K. That last 5-8% will double the initial figure. If you want 100% perfection? Nearly unattainable. Law of diminishing returns.

That $165K is not unreasonable. When he showed me the before pictures (an average antique car, never restored, avg. condition), I guessed I would have charged $150K to get it to the level of his shop. The paint job alone would probably have been $25K. The interior would have been $30-40K. Spend 5 minutes looking at the '63 split window link I posted. Look at the car. It's perfection.

Second point is that for some antiques, they'll retain the value you put into them in restoration. For most stuff, it won't. You'll have $75K in a $40K car, just like I probably have $5-10K more in my deuce than it'll ever be worth.

But for this particular Corvette, it's worth what he put in it.

See:

1963 Vette, 327/340, perfection level, $200K: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-...ash=item1cb284b5b1:g:57wAAOSwKWha~HYU&vxp=mtr

1967 427, low miles, super nice, $240K: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Corvette-Coupe/163191376499?hash=item25fef6ca73:g:om8AAOSw8P5baj2T&vxp=mtr

1967 427/435, near perfection, $170K: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-...ash=item1cb43ed15e:g:294AAOSwUwlbISx1&vxp=mtr

Another 1967 427/435, $170K: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-...ash=item520cd602a8:g:13UAAOSwuRBbRk1k&vxp=mtr

1967 L89 car (aluminum heads), $145K: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Chevr...ash=item1ee76758df:g:k7MAAOSwDZJbICcA&vxp=mtr

And yes, I posted eBay links. For a bunch of Corvettes. I assume none of us are bidding on any of these cars, so I think an exception is acceptable in this case. If anyone feels differently, I'll delete the links.

Last edited:

Camel Driver

Thank you! Now I don't have to do the frame flex test myself! Dang, I already had the hill picked out at my buddy Pete's house to do it on! Their spring mounted subframe is exactly what I was figuring I would need. I've seen that same setup on some straight trucks used off highway in the construction field.

I really get what you are talking about with the rich folks causing the "inflation". And I'm glad I already have my 1970 AMX "Dream Car" because, even those old AMC's are being affected by all the extra money being pumped into the old car hobby.

As far as the cost of the Acella. That is the sort of premium someone has to pay when they are not capable of doing things themselves. And that will be the situation for most folks that buy a 6x6 motor home. Hahaha, I'm glad there won't be many of them. We will still have a very "unique" vehicle and all the great campsites to ourselves. Any way you want to look at it, the owners of our 6x6 trucks will be breathing some VERY rarefied air. I don't think we will ever have that old problem where one buys a (rare) vehicle and then starts to see them by the dozen only weeks later. ;-)

Thanks again for the video. I will spend some time watching it again and again I am sure. While there is no way I will use ALL those upgrades, I'm sure I will want at least a few of them and probably come up with a few of my own being inspired by your camera work!

Now if I can just get everyone else's vehicles fixed around here I might be able to find some time to work on our M1083. I guess shouldn't complain, I need to pay for all these new parts I'm buying somehow. [thumbzup]

Have a great day, Bill

Hello all

Cheers
Seth

Reworked LMTV

Every time "something else" breaks, these look like a deal : ) Every time I have to go down the "crap this isn't a standard part" trail, these look like a bargain. Every time another years slips by, these look like a deal.

Nothing wrong with charging for good work. These guys will sell parts to us. A big plus!

"Capitalism"....it just works!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A couple of things are happening in the antique car hobby.
Clinto, this was a very insightful post that I just read twice. Wise words. Thanks for posting.

In a way, it totally ties into what the guys from FMTVTRUCKS https://fmtvtrucks.com/ that also build the Acela trucks are saying in their FAQ. Why buy a truck for $$$ from them, when you can pick up the same truck for $ at auction? Because you can't be sure what you are getting and, unless you enjoy tracking down defects and faults and (potentially) doing lots of repair work and buying parts, you might be disappointed or overstretch your own resources. If you buy a truck from them, completely gone through and fixed up, you can enjoy driving it from day 1.

Certainly a reality to ponder for many people....

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Profo thinks hes got a heck of a deal for being into his 30k, but he doesn't count all the labor involved. Just like on his 5 ton camper. Easily a $200,000 camper if it was a new build by a company truck.

99nouns

Profo thinks hes got a heck of a deal for being into his 30k, but he doesn't count all the labor involved. Just like on his 5 ton camper. Easily a $200,000 camper if it was a new build by a company truck.
He is into heck of a deal, you cant even buy a 18 years old flimsy diesel pusher for that price, and being able to go anywhere is priceless, I contacted Profo to see if he can help me out with mine, but he might be super busy...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks