• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A trips breaker when load applied....Problem solved!

Saunders

Thought this might be worth sharing. My MEP-803A ran ok, but whenever I put a heavy load on it, the breaker would trip. Figured I'd try spraying the contacts on the S8 selector switch with some Deoxit cleaner and work the switch back and forth to clean any dirty contacts.

When I took the top cover off, found a field rat had chewed thru three of the wires on the S8 switch. Not sure where they connect up to, but everything appeared to be working with them broken other than it not handling much of a load.

So, I don't know if repairing the wires or cleaning the switch contacts fixed the problem, but I'm now able to run both AC units (4 and 2 ton units) as well as the clothes dryer all at the same time. Measured 49 amps on clamp meter to house. Gen running near 100% and purred right on along.

The rat had eaten away the foam insulation on the bottom of the generator where any over flow fluids can drain out. Managed to wedge some boards underneath between the cement slab and bottom of generator. The cut-out hole is around 7" x 7" or thereabouts. It's hard to see the hole unless you have generator off the ground a ways, but you can feel it if you put you hand underneath. I'd definitely recommend blocking it off. Spent last summer taking entire dash out of Jeep where mice ate thru the main wiring harness.

Generator.jpg

Bmxenbrett

Put hardware cloth on the lower intake grates too. There easy enough to get on with zip ties. The radiator opening is alreaty rodent proof.

69birdman

Put hardware cloth on the lower intake grates too. There easy enough to get on with zip ties. The radiator opening is alreaty rodent proof.
Hardware cloth, I could not think of that name, thanks. Yeah the holes under the batterys I just laid a 4"x4" pieces of the cloth over holes and set battery boxes back overtop of them.

Attachments

USAMilRet

Need a smaller mesh screen. Need to keep the mud duabbers, hornets, wasp and **** palmeto bugs out of the unit. So I am thinking a 1/8th in screen of some type that would do the job. Prefer stainless steel due to all the rain. If I used regular stuff, it would rust away in no time. I wonder how fiberglass re-inforced insect mesh/screening would do like for screened windows.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks