• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driver Side Axle Boot

dbesade

Hello All,

I'm replacing Axle Boots and for the life of me I cannot get the Steering Arm off the Knuckle. I have gotten the Linkage off the Arm.. however using the TM information. Is there a trick I'm not getting :confused:

Thanks in Advance

-Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil Rhodes

I'm not sure why you need to remove the arm but,,,,,,,,there are wedges on the four studs that hold the arm to the knuckle. The wedges are tapered and are split so that when the nuts are tightened the wedges are forced down around the studs and because of the taper the wedges get tighter as they are pressed down into the arm. Your best bet at loosening them is to strike the arm from the side. Direct pressure straight up seldom gets the job done.

dbesade

I'm not sure why you need to remove the arm but,,,,,,,,there are wedges on the four studs that hold the arm to the knuckle. The wedges are tapered and are split so that when the nuts are tightened the wedges are forced down around the studs and because of the taper the wedges get tighter as they are pressed down into the arm. Your best bet at loosening them is to strike the arm from the side. Direct pressure straight up seldom gets the job done.
I suppose I could stretch the boot over it, however on the Passenger Side it was easier to get the installed on the Axle and then add the knuckle. I am also taking the opportunity to remove the knuckles and inspect the bushings and clean everything up. I got one of the cones out and have been smacking the arm at the side. They are pretty rusty.

-Regards,

Dave

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now that you seem to have it somewhat loose, get penetrant in there, walk away and give it an hour or so to soak before you hit it again.

sandcobra164

Plate underneath is the kingpin bushing. Tap on the edges of the bushing with a chisel to try and pry it loose from the knuckle.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks