• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

broke off air tank petcock in M135.......

Brad

My Son, in his zeal to do good while draining moisture thought it best to remove the petcock and get rid of every last drop of water. Well we know what happened, broke off the petcock.
It is in a hard place to get at but we tried "easy outs" with no luck, the brass left in the threaded hole just keeps getting cut out. Finally we got a big steel lag bolt tight in the brass and it is holding air , and was enough for him to get the truck back to its storage location.
I might be able to just tap some threads in what is left of the brass and run a real bolt in it and seal it.
Do you think that sufficient? Otherwise I'm going to have to remove the tank so I can get at it better to remove the old brass and clear the original threads in the tank then get a new petcock??
Valued opinions please.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
In the past, ive hammered in a torx bit and been able to unscrew snapped off brass. Some heat from a torch cant hurt either. Recently I've been using "inside pipe wrenches" if you have the right size, they beat everything else ive used.

Brad

I am going to remove the tank to extract the broken end of the old petcock.
Would anyone there have one I could trade for or purchase?
Thanks, 724-235-1140

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll look tomorrow, on one of my 'bones' tomorrow . In the mean time, when you get the tank out, heat the threaded part that is left on the tank to red temp, let it cool, then use your easy out. Hopefully, you didn't mess-up the threads.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Last edited:

Brad

WOW!! That would be great, thanks.
If the threads don't match up I could just adapt/bush it I am guessing??
Thanks again, I am going to research this

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks