• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Researching Vehicle History

JJHoneck

How do I go about researching a World War II Willys Jeep's wartime service?

Were military records kept using the vehicles "VIN" (actually the predecessor to the VIN) that can be found on the title? If so, where would I search?

I would love to learn as much as possible about a vehicle I am considering buying, but the seller has virtually no history of it.

Thanks!
--
Jay

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a similar place to look for the actual service record of a vehicle? I have an M35A2 and would like to know where it was based so I can put the correct markings on it.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Not now. Military took down the database in March. You will have to send a freedom of information act to TACOM, wait to be contacted, send the correction, wait to be contacted, send the correction until it is just right and then maybe you might get it.

They may also punt you to LOGSA and they may yo-yo you some more.

Good luck. BTW, you must be a US citizen to do the FOIA.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not now. Military took down the database in March. You will have to send a freedom of information act to TACOM, wait to be contacted, send the correction, wait to be contacted, send the correction until it is just right and then maybe you might get it.

They may also punt you to LOGSA and they may yo-yo you some more.

Good luck. BTW, you must be a US citizen to do the FOIA.
And if you do get them to provide any information through a FOIA expect to pay dearly for it.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Oh and you should search this website. If your vehicle was searched for before by us, it would save you some effort. Also looking at the VIN INFO threads for 2012 or 13 or whatever year you get an idea of what info you might get and what info and HOW that information needs to be asked....ie what is the serial number, what is the registration number. If you screwed up what you were asking for with me, you got a public flogging on my reply. Screw it up on a FOIA and you get a nothing found or the wrong vehicle.

Make sure you read the info in the first post of these threads so you understand some of the other info that's handy. For instance if your vehicle was out of service before the unit it was assigned to became automated (in their motorpool), then chances are you won't find anything. Some museum vehicles or 'unit mascot' vehicles were loaded. I've found a few M38's and M715's in the database.

I am fairly sure only the Army kept long term registration information although some Air National Guard units were registered because they went through a state USPFO organization and may have went from Army to ANG or vice versa. If the vehicle was USAF, USN, USMC, USCG then you will most likely be SOL.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks