• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new project

VASteve

I just bought this last weekend. It is supposed to be a 1954 M38A1. The first thing I had to do was replace both batteries. The fuel tank inlet was covered in evaporated gas (lacquer) I flushed the tank and it started right way, needs a serious tune up though. As you can see it needs a new paint job. Whoever did the paint did not know what they were doing. Those are invasion stars from 1944. No M38 would have them, and I believe that the font maybe wrong as well. Most of my time in the Army was spent in deserts, so before I choose a paint job I would love to see some authentic pictures, taken the 1950's, of M38's in desert tan. Otherwise, my grandfather was stationed in Augburg in the mid-late 50's with the 5th Inf. Div. So, I may mark it up with his unit's numbers.

I say it is supposed to be a 1954, the dash data plates have been replaced and there are no numbers. The patent plate behind that passenger seat is missing. I could not find a chassis number either. The VIN on the bill of sale is no help, it is invalid. I am waiting for the title so I can check for a miss print. It has a single large bolt under front grill, radiator support rods, battery box secured with cam lever and distinctive seams in the side of the front fender all point to a second generation M38A1. I would appreciate suggestions on locating serial numbers. Tonight I am going try and locate the engine block serial number, but I suspect it is a recent rebuild.

Regardless, I love it and it should provide years of pleasure. I took my wife for a ride inside our neighborhood. She said it brought back memories. When I met here in college I had a 1977 CJ-5 and we spent many summers with the top down on that old thing.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks