• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

39/809 clutch suggestion

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
For you that have HEAVY 39/809 series 5ts (wreckers, ect.,) here is a BETTER way to shift to save the clutch. As you KNOW the trans suck especially the overdrive, though the non-overdrive is not much better. The wreckers are close to the 36,000 lb. mark, loaded can be a easy 60,000, the trans has a hole between 3rd and 4th that the whole truck could fall in, 2nd to 3rd has a hole but about 1/2 as bad. The clutch is a SINGLE disk, the trans puts to much load on a single disk (should be a DOUBLE) when taken the load, which REALLY shortens the LIFE of it in HI. The way I found to get around the crap trans and a single disk at the same time is to start out in 2nd L, then 3,4,5 low, then drop from 5 to 4th, shifting to HI at the same time, then 5th. BY doing this the starting load on the clutch is GREATLY reduced, ALSO the BIG hole between 3rd and 4th is about gone. This may take some practice, but after a bit shifting will have NO missed shifts and be as smooth as (you fill in the blank), You WILL notice a difference for the good. This is just a suggestion, try it, if you like it GOOD, not like it, nothing lost.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, if you have two right arms.... Seriously, good info Ron, my 813 rarely has much weight. The 3-4 hole does bug me
when trying to get up to speed quickly.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ive got some carbide ceramic puck clutches Ron. I just need an old disc to rebuild as a core.

162tcat

For you that have HEAVY 39/809 series 5ts (wreckers, ect.,) here is a BETTER way to shift to save the clutch. As you KNOW the trans suck especially the overdrive, though the non-overdrive is not much better. The wreckers are close to the 36,000 lb. mark, loaded can be a easy 60,000, the trans has a hole between 3rd and 4th that the whole truck could fall in, 2nd to 3rd has a hole but about 1/2 as bad. The clutch is a SINGLE disk, the trans puts to much load on a single disk (should be a DOUBLE) when taken the load, which REALLY shortens the LIFE of it in HI. The way I found to get around the crap trans and a single disk at the same time is to start out in 2nd L, then 3,4,5 low, then drop from 5 to 4th, shifting to HI at the same time, then 5th. BY doing this the starting load on the clutch is GREATLY reduced, ALSO the BIG hole between 3rd and 4th is about gone. This may take some practice, but after a bit shifting will have NO missed shifts and be as smooth as (you fill in the blank), You WILL notice a difference for the good. This is just a suggestion, try it, if you like it GOOD, not like it, nothing lost.
This is the way I shift in my M817 when loaded. You almost have to unless your headed down hill or on flat ground.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

someoldmoose

Saw this yesterday and didn't have time to reply. Good tip but I thought everyone did this as S.O.P. Guess using the clutch pedal just for starting and stopping unless some unusual situation occurs is how I learned 100 years ago ( and THOSE trannys were NOT synchronized ). I did use it bringing "baby" home more than I ever would have in my ancient truck tractor but once I know her song I probably won't use it for "normal" shifting.

I definitely agree about the gear spacing. I suspect these were not shifted much in their "normal" working environment. Highway miles were probably limited and cross country was probably handled mostly with the low side of the T-case ( hence a top speed of 25 in 5th ) Anyway, your point is VERY valid. BE KIND TO YOUR CLUTCH. [thumbzup]

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
We've been shifting like that in our deuces with heavy loads for a while. Welcome to the light.
I have been shifting like this for years since I lost my last clutch, just got around to posting about it, in fact I "think" I have posted before on this, but in case not I posted .

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
A twin and a tri stick is what I learned to drive a BIG REAL truck, not a WANT-A-BE truck with a auto trans,. 36 gears behind a 200 Cummins or a DD 671 = 3 sticks, this was what was needed for a heavy haul truck, and at times NO PS but some had clutch assist because the clutches were BIG double or triple disks. without assist you knew WHAT a hard clutch peddle was.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Didn't know the flintstone mobile was a 3 sticker. Ha!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A twin and a tri stick is what I learned to drive a BIG REAL truck, not a WANT-A-BE truck with a auto trans,. 36 gears behind a 200 Cummins or a DD 671 = 3 sticks, this was what was needed for a heavy haul truck, and at times NO PS but some had clutch assist because the clutches were BIG double or triple disks. without assist you knew WHAT a hard clutch peddle was.
And the Macks with them were in a league of their own.

dmetalmiki

And that was pulling a full load. RPM's and changes always the same, NO over reving..My M62 has always (and still) does the job. OK..not in a rush..but it does it.

162tcat

Is there a more heavy duty clutch available? I work my 817 pretty hard so its only a matter of time. I'm considering swapping to the direct drive 5th gear trans to help out with the big 3-4 hole too. With 16.00' s I should still be in the 50+ mph range.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

someoldmoose

71Deuce,
I hope I'm not speaking out of turn but shifting a 5 ton that is empty is "easy". This thread is more about when the rig is being used at or near max. capacity. If you've never driven with a manual trans. then yes, there is a learning curve involved but the bigger curve is learning to judge these things "position in the universe" while moving. Mine, for example, has a turning RADIUS of nearly 50 feet. I have turned tractor-trailers (with pig trailers) around in less space than my M820.
I was VERY surprised when I learned that the transmission in my beast is synchronized (except for 1st and reverse). I learned to shift with the diagram in 74M35A2's post, three sticks, Strongarm steering, AND double clutching (until I learned how tuh not to). Compared to that, shifting one of these is no different than a Toyota Celica.

AMGeneral

That's exactly what I started driving a class 8 truck in as well Ron, a 1964 B-67 Mack w/a Theromdyne, no P/S, and a quadbox.

I haven't moved up much thus far as my current Mack is a 69 R model, with a 237 and a Duplex, still no P/S.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks