• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air gate for military dump trucks

162tcat

Has anyone converted the gate on there m817/m929 or any other variant of military dump from manual to air?

While the manual gate works fine, an air is much more convenient for spreading or just dumping quickly. If anybody has, I'd love to see how you accomplished it.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

tobyS

Not me, but I could help with components or specifications.
I have an M929A2 that I would consider doing it to, but it's not high priority since I use the wings and leave the gate down most the time. I did that on my 817 also, never once used the gate in normal closed position.

But like with gravel spreading, I could see great advantage for metering out the gate.

How much force (pounds of push and pull) do you think is needed on the bar that releases the latch? We have about 120 PSI of pressure to work with. I could try mine but would prefer not changing it.
Is your location Washington State?

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have done a bunch of civi trucks, full air and full air/manual.

That would be EASY to do, does not take a lot of air psi, all it takes is a little thought, and would NOT affect the duel action tailgate use.

162tcat

Yes, I'm in Washington state. I've been slowly looking at different options. Just curious to see what others have done.
Not me, but I could help with components or specifications.
I have an M929A2 that I would consider doing it to, but it's not high priority since I use the wings and leave the gate down most the time. I did that on my 817 also, never once used the gate in normal closed position.

But like with gravel spreading, I could see great advantage for metering out the gate.

How much force (pounds of push and pull) do you think is needed on the bar that releases the latch? We have about 120 PSI of pressure to work with. I could try mine but would prefer not changing it.
Is your location Washington State?
Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

tobyS

I have done a bunch of civi trucks, full air and full air/manual.

That would be EASY to do, does not take a lot of air psi, all it takes is a little thought, and would NOT affect the duel action tailgate use.
Do you happen to have any pictures Ron? Do you remember the size and stroke of the cylinder? Did you keep a manual handle ( I guess that is what "full air/manual" means) ?

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Easy enough to do, I've done it many times of civilian dumps. 3-4" air cylinder should do.

Just make sure that the cylinder linkage still retains the "over center" action of the tailgate linkage. If not, park it loaded and the air leaks down, your tailgate will come open. I've seen this happen before.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Do you happen to have any pictures Ron? Do you remember the size and stroke of the cylinder? Did you keep a manual handle ( I guess that is what "full air/manual" means) ?
These mods were done for North COUNTY Sand & Gravel and other companies that I worked for in CA., most mods were 1/2/3 mods, to many different boxes to have a standard mod plan, just look at the box linkage, work it out in your head, mod. Yes on keeping the manual dump lever, this was used when a loss of air, the box could still be dumped, a straight to air mod is simple and fast, the combo mod takes more thought and time.

Had no need to take pictures, just doing what I was paid to do., besides I almost never take pictures unless forced to, (clients and Swiss LIKE pictures)

Last edited:

tobyS

Yea....I've done $250k jobs and not taken one picture. I share progress here with MV because digital has made it easier and I'm not giving away what a customer may not want public. Last couple large jobs were high security jail locks and Sheriffs probably would not want pictures of the interior of the locks.

I'm an MV "flipper"...invest MY money, recover, title, fix and sell then start again.. All my MV stuff is my own and with digital, has got easier to do photo's, so I post more.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks