• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-803a power

Deepbluesea56

I just bought a mep-803a. I want to install a 50 amp plug on the unit. I have a 50 amp 50 foot rv power cord.

Here is the product description.
Heavy-duty 50ft commercial grade extension cable for RVs and trailers ETL and CSA approved and listed to ensure safety and performance 100% copper high-grade wire and top quality connectors Integrated connector handles make connections and un-plugging safe and easy Weather resistant and outdoor rated for use in all conditions Double-coated rubber-like thermoplastic casing stays flexible in cold weather SPECIFICATIONS Cable Length: 50' Feet Wire Material: Top Quality 100% pure copper 6/3 + 8/1 AWG Specification (3 6-gauge wires and 1 8-gauge wire) Power Rating: 50 Amp, 125V-250Volts Male Plug End: NEMA 14-50P Female Plug End: NEMA 14-50R ETL and CSA Approved and Listed.

Would this be sufficient to use for powering my home?

Dock Rocker

There are a dozen or so threads in this. Your description is a little to vague to give you any real answers.

It all depends on how far you’re going to go what your intentions are for mounting the unit.also what your local electrical codes are.

Personally I would never go anything less than 6/4 SOO.

Don’t forget you need a power disconnect switch and/or an interlock panel to make sure you don’t back feed and kill some poor lineman.

You will get much more response if you had posted this in the auxiliary equipment forum rather than the testing forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

69birdman

Welcome
Sounds like your wanting a setup like mine. I agree with dock rocker, a 6/4 SOOW 90C cable, 50' or under. I have a 30' cable myself. 50amp 14-50 outlet on gen set, 50amp CS twistlock inlet on house. 7' of 6 THNN x4 into panel with interlock.
Where you at in Florida?

Peace
Brian

Attachments

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So long as you understand this machine will produce MORE than what that receptacle is rated... you should be ok. But you must be mindful of this under load.

Deepbluesea56

Welcome
Sounds like your wanting a setup like mine. I agree with dock rocker, a 6/4 SOOW 90C cable, 50' or under. I have a 30' cable myself. 50amp 14-50 outlet on gen set, 50amp CS twistlock inlet on house. 7' of 6 THNN x4 into panel with interlock.
Where you at in Florida?

Peace
Brian
I am in Cocoa Fl.

Dock Rocker

Light in the dark. What would I need to use to be able to get full potential out of the generator?
The genset is rated at 52 amps I believe. I would just dial it down a tad and be good with a 50 amp service.
The cost to switch to 60 amp gear is considerably more. Like exponentially more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The machine is rated for 52A @ 240v... that is correct. I've had these up around 60A at their peak (not for any long amount of time... but they will absolutely do it). I am not concerned with 52A through a 50A connector... I am at 60 through one though.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Light in the dark. What would I need to use to be able to get full potential out of the generator?
Well for most folks, they make the 50A fitting work. Once you step up to 60A, everything gets more expensive. Do you KNOW how much power your need to run everything (a worst case scenario)? Very important piece of info to have, before you determine this.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks