• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2007 MEP-806B no-start

kadetklapp

Picked up a 2007 MEP-806B for our police department back in January. Unit has 13.6 hours on it according to the meter. John Deere won't fire up. Put fuel in it, showing nearly half a tank on the screen. Cleared the fault codes, put two new 850 CCA batteries in it, and still nothing. It will pop and fart on the cold-start ether switch, but it's just detonating it's brains out. Cracked open the top of the water separator and fuel rolls out a bit. Starting to think the electronic governor/throttle is bad or the IP is junk.aua

96m1083

It may have lost its prime, loosen each injector fuel line nut, turn it over until fuel seeps past the nut then tighten nuts back down, if that works it should run like **** but will clear up in a few minutes

96m1083

Does this model have banjo bolts holding the fuel lines to the filter housing? If so, the banjo closest to you should have a little screen filter, probably got trash in it from being moved around and got clogged

kadetklapp

Does this model have banjo bolts holding the fuel lines to the filter housing? If so, the banjo closest to you should have a little screen filter, probably got trash in it from being moved around and got clogged
I'll take a look. Thanks for the tip. I've never cracked injectors on a diesel, so wish me luck.

Dock Rocker

"Notify Next Higher Level of Maintenance" doesn't really help me much.
Is there only a unit level TM? Even the unit level should have some troubleshooting to get you through common no start issues.

Exactly what have you done from the TM so we can help your further?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kadetklapp

I've gone to the Deere manual. So far I've cracked the fuel filter housing, and got some bubbly fuel out. I ran the primer till it was a steady stream. I primed again, then no start. Next I cranked the IP return line open, and primed the system, got quite a lot of fuel out, still no start. I have NOT cracked the injectors at the top of the motor yet. I do not feel comfortable doing it with the tools I have, and it's difficult in the cabinet to get any leverage. I'm afraid I'll strip or round off something. I did crack one of the lines coming out of the IP going to one of the cylinders and fuel dripped out, but no response from the hand primer.

kadetklapp

Well, I'm using the one manual I got.

So far I'm thinking the electronic governor or solenoid is junk, as in it's not allowing the IP to do it's job. Opening the panel and looking at the boards isn't very telling. No red lights on, no overspeed, no fault lights I can see. About to wash my hands of it. We're a small department and do not have $1500 for John Deere to come out and work on it.

Guyfang

Staff member
I've gone to the Deere manual. So far I've cracked the fuel filter housing, and got some bubbly fuel out. I ran the primer till it was a steady stream. I primed again, then no start. Next I cranked the IP return line open, and primed the system, got quite a lot of fuel out, still no start. I have NOT cracked the injectors at the top of the motor yet. I do not feel comfortable doing it with the tools I have, and it's difficult in the cabinet to get any leverage. I'm afraid I'll strip or round off something. I did crack one of the lines coming out of the IP going to one of the cylinders and fuel dripped out, but no response from the hand primer.
Please, use the military TM's. This is normally a simple problem. Normally, you cranking it a while, should have cleared out air. The very first thing to do is Check the Magnetic pick up. If its missing, maladjusted, fouled, or unserviceable, The Injector pump will not let the unit start. Now, Try starting it, and look, or have someone else look at the Electronic actuator. Will it move when you turn on S1?

kadetklapp

The IP is dead, likely the switch on top of the injection pump. I became familiar with the fault clear switch early on.

Last edited by a moderator:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please, use the military TM's. This is normally a simple problem. Normally, you cranking it a while, should have cleared out air. The very first thing to do is Check the Magnetic pick up. If its missing, maladjusted, fouled, or unserviceable, The Injector pump will not let the unit start. Now, Try starting it, and look, or have someone else look at the Electronic actuator. Will it move when you turn on S1?
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?173099-Manuals-for-the-MEP-806B

Screenshot_35.jpg

there are all the manuals you need for your set, minus the -14.

test the actuator first, the troubleshooting for it is #7. unless you already did test it to find it was faulty, I have only found 2 actuator that failed out of many, not including the operator error failures ie yanked out wires, stripped out fuel lines.

Screenshot_34.jpg

did you test and adjust the magnetic pickup? the -14 tm is too large to upload here, but liberatedmanuals has it.

http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-9-6115-672-14.pdf

for magnetic pickup removal, cleaning, testing..... start on page 337

More times than not, the problem lies with the MPU, its been a joke of, if it doesnt start check mpu, if its out of fuel, check the mpu. MPU has deadlined more generators than actual faults.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks