• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Filter Question

Chief B

So I started working on my water pump today and while at it decided to check the air filter. I did not even get the filter out before I realized what I think may be signs of some kind of an issue. So I loosened the clamp and when I went to take the end plate off the filter holder, a red oil came pouring out. It kind of looked like a transmission oil or something similar. I put it back together quickly to keep oil from going everywhere, but know it is something I have to deal with. Any ideas as to what could cause this?

Stan

Chief B

Is it a USMC truck with a fording kit?

Sounds like an issue with the vent lines sucking fluid as they are not supposed to do that. Check your fluid level and condition to your Transmission, differential & Transfer Cases.

A known issue is called the vampire:
http://www.hummerknowledgebase.com/rungear/vamp.html
Thank you for the quick response. going to go check this stuff out and I guess plan on doing a whole lot more work than I had originally planned on doing this weekend.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the quick response. going to go check this stuff out and I guess plan on doing a whole lot more work than I had originally planned on doing this weekend.

Just fyi, If you do have a USMC truck with the fording kit, That is another piece of the puzzle with the vent lines as they are all hooked up together along the way.

Dock Rocker

It could be a vampire issue. You can google hmmwv vampire and read all about it. Check your fluid level in your transfer case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chief B

Question... would overfilling the transmission fluid possibly be a cause for this? Also if so, would draining some out fix the issue or will I need to go through the whole thing as I've been reading on the Vampire issue? I just checked my fluids and the transmission fluid is still overfull even though it lost some into the air filter.

Dock Rocker

It may be overfilled or it could be sucking t out of the transfer case.

Have you checked the level in the T-case?

Action

Check your power steering reservoir.

Look at your dash for the air filter restriction gauge to the left of the steering column. Watch the display as you push the little button at the bottom. Does it drop down?

Chief B

Ok so I’m on my way back to Africa and will be getting my HMMWV towed to a shop once I get the parts in for it. My question is since they’re going to take apart the transfer case anyway I’m going to go ahead and order a new cooling ring, but are there other parts needed to fix the vampire issue? From the research I’ve done this and a new air filter are the only things I could find.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks