• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil cooler

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If memory serves, its either made of pot metal or aluminum. You might be able to braze, but ive used epoxy before and it lasted at least 3yrs.

Just my experience.

rustystud

If memory serves, its either made of pot metal or aluminum. You might be able to braze, but ive used epoxy before and it lasted at least 3yrs.

Just my experience.
It's Aluminum and it corrodes due to the different metals. If you use a good anti-freeze it helps slow down the corrosion.
Also if you take off the cover, sand-blast it clean and paint it with a "aluminum etching" paint and then a good high gloss enamel it will last for decades without any trouble.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As Chris said maybe some JB weld to fill in the pits around the gasket edge. If there are deep pits in the aluminum with that white corrosion clean the housing well with solvent to remove all grease /oil. Then use apple cider vinegar on the pits and it will eat out the corrosion but not hurt the aluminum. Water flush and dry when all the pits are cleaned out.This will help the JB weld stick well and clean out the pits and stop the corrosion. Then use the JB weld and sand down flat or apply to a flat edge for the gasket.
The apple cider vinegar works real well. Had a friend with an outboard motor that was getting pitted bad and we cleaned it washed it with the vinegar and painted it and it has lasted years.

Last edited:

rustystud

As Chris said maybe some JB weld to fill in the pits around the gasket edge. If there are deep pits in the aluminum with that white corrosion clean the housing well with solvent to remove all grease /oil. Then use apple cider vinegar on the pits and it will eat out the corrosion but not hurt the aluminum. Water flush and dry when all the pits are cleaned out.This will help the JB weld stick well and clean out the pits and stop the corrosion. Then use the JB weld and sand down flat or apply to a flat edge for the gasket.
The apple cider vinegar works real well. Had a friend with an outboard motor that was getting pitted bad and we cleaned it washed it with the vinegar and painted it and it has lasted years.
That's a good idea with the "JB weld" . I didn't think about filling in the pits for the present problem, just how to protect it for the future.

rustystud

Doesn't look like mine is leaking at the edges/gasket. Seems to have a hole right in the top of the access cover somehow. I'm sand off the paint, and drop a blog of JB Weld on top to keep it running for now. I have a gasket set on the way and am tracking down a replacement access cover for a permanent repair.
You could also drill out the hole and tap it with a NPT tap and use a stainless steel NPT plug. That would fix it pretty good. I would remove it and clean it up like I mentioned earlier, and don't forget the "etching" paint.

Bill W

My aluminum cover had cavitation burns on the inside due to galvanic action from the different metals to which I now add NAPA KOOL which is a a SCA ( supplemental coolant additive) to my antifreeze which helps protect against it.

Last edited:

rustystud

Thought about that, but was worried about a) the chips getting mixed in to the coolant and b) the wall thickness of the cover not being enough -- particularly with the apparent corrosion -- to get a good thread engagement/seal. Any idea how thick the access cover wall is there when it's new?
I thought about the chips, that's why I said to remove it, clean it and drill it out. Then paint it with a good etching paint and gloss paint. The thickness is around 3/16" I believe.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Problem might be if one hole popped up then it won't be long before another strikes. If a replacement could be had myself replace.

rustystud

Problem might be if one hole popped up then it won't be long before another strikes. If a replacement could be had myself replace.
Very true. Finding a replacement for a reasonable price might be difficult though.
As a side note "Floridianson" , I now have my brother after me to complete the "Great Alaskan Adventure" !!! A guy cannot get a break around here !!! He's right of course. My son will soon be to old to want to go on a adventure with his old man.
He turns 15 next month. He's my only child from a second marriage. He used to hate it when I dropped him off to elementary school and the kids would ask if I was his Grandpa.

searls84

I put some quick set JB Weld on it while I waited for a replacement cover and gasket set to arrive. The JB Weld held for a few trips, but today when I started the truck up, it blew off -- looks like it's time to do the fix right now that I have the parts in hand. So what am I in for when I go to replace the cover? Looks like quite a bit of disassembly if I follow the TM (removing the secondary fuel filter assembly, disconnecting injector lines, etc.), If I just pull the cover off, should I expect to have a bunch of coolant come out, a bunch of oil, or a both?
Having taken this apart before, it’s not that bad. You’ll need two gaskets. One for the “access cover” to oil cooler and one for the oil cooler to the oil to cooler “housing”. You will have some spillage of both oil and coolant, have a bucket or big drain on ready to catch what you can.

Probably preaching to the choir but....Remember, the day before yours started leaking you could have sold it as a “good take out.” Every used part is going to have some degree of wear. Clean, prep and paint as Rusty said previously to minimize the chance of having to possibly do this again in the not so distant future.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks