• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Halftrack Tire Innertubes

1943ht

Have been working on Jeep projects but am to the point on those projects that I can break away and get back to my track. Several months ago, purchased the listed tubes on the Lucas site for my new tires. Wheels were blasted and painted, new tubes installed etc. (these are the correct HT Combat Wheels) and when mounted on my track were both flat within a day.

Of course I called Lucas in CA and after having a "chat" :evil: was informed that the tubes listed on the site for that tire (8.25 × 20) will not work for the halftrack (Obviously!!). Of course that's the only tube listed on the site for that tire size, but no disclaimer regards halftrack use. Totally pissed about that after all the work. Was told before I hung up that the site would be updated to now reflect that fact. I never checked the site to see if that was done. :? Don't feel like dealing with Lucas again so I have not been to their site!!

Wanted my money back, but was told that the blown tubes needed to be sent back (fair enough).

Took the tires to a local tire shop to break the beads and have the tires pulled off. Picked them up when called a day later, no tubes!! Of course no one there knew where they went. Salt in the wound!:cry:

Fast forward to yesterday, got a call from the shop telling me that they found a box there in the back room with my name on it and my tubes in the box. Maybe I can my funds back now LUCAS! :clinto:

Anyway, now need two correct tubes!!!

Can I please get some recommendations for vendors with correct tubes? PLEASE ANYONE BUT LUCAS.

As you will observe, both tubes failed at the stem!

tube1.jpg tube3.jpg tube2.jpg tube33.jpg

Last edited:

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Having worked on old tractor tires I have after acquiring tubes decided that welding thick washers to the rims either inside or outside or both that helps to seat the tubes in place. Or weld the hole shut and drill new hole. How are the valve stem holes, oversize?

I can not see but do the tubes have threaded and nutted valve stems? Not to many tire shops have done many inner tube type tires. I also air up tube before install and then air down and leave Shrader valve out during mounting.

AG tire shops will know best how to air up and down to get tube installed as straight without distortion. Seeing the valve stem sideways even a little bit will be a problem at some point. I do most large bias ply tires myself 16 in and larger and it is a chore, and experience helps.

I am sure that there is someone here on the Forum that has probably done one themselves. I seem to remember someone in the last week or two that got a cracked rim from a scrap yard and broke it down himself. Maybe good to repair and use for a spare.

Good Luck!

P.S. I looked up thread and I thought it was and is, I hope he does not mind but NDT has a rim and maybe get to talking about how he did breakdown and try mounting yourself. Can not do worse?

Last edited:

1943ht

CM, no nut ..had a clip that fit over the stem and into the wheel.. Thank you for the info .. have done lots of tires on my vehicles, usually because tire shops will no longer work on these wheels (afraid of liability issues). Ordered new tubes from Coker. Will update this post after install.

1943ht

New tubes and flaps arrived today from Coker and they fit together beautifuly. Decided to order new flaps to match the tubes and there is a difference between Coker flaps and the Lucas flaps that I had. Lucas flaps are very thick at the stem hole. Will post some pics tomorrow to show the difference.

NOS HT tubes used a 440 series stem (440-445) the lucas tubes are 77A series valve stem .. that makes a difference and thats why they probably don't work on the HT application.

My new flaps are USA made and the tubes are from South Korea. Just need to assemble everything now!

1943ht

Took baby out to show off her new shoes ... The Queen ran like a champ as I drove her around the airport hangers and on the service roads.

IMG_20180922_124742.jpg IMG_20180922_124731.jpg

Last edited:

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great pics. I can’t wait till front tires are highest on my to do list for my halftrack. Right now it’s find parts and stop the rust!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks