• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just got my deuce today and have a few questions

197104a39571

Got my truck home today from a 200 mile drive home. Noticed that my tires on the front had what looked some sort of liquid coming from what looked like the seal between the tire and wheel. The back of the tire was wet and the front had streaks on it. The wheel itself was dry. I have pics just not sure how to post on here. My question is does this mean the inner and outer seals are bad and need to be replaced?

Second question is i have a small leak coming from a high pressure hose running from a fitting coming from the transfer case running up between the firewall and engine. What is this hose for and where can I get another one?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll jump in, based on the mental image from your description. Pictures would be helpful!

If you did have a leak on your front axle, it is either brake fluid or gear oil. You need to check the brake fluid level in the master cylinder. Is it low?
The next step is to pull the wheel off and remove the brake drum to see what's going on.

The "hoses" going to the transfer case are the air supply for the air shift and the speedometer cable. Use the TM to identify which one you saw leaking.

http://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTechnicalManuals/TM9-2320-361-20.pdf

Look at page 6-15. Is this the leaking fitting?

If not, look at
http://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTechnicalManuals/TM9-2320-361-24-1.pdf
page 0099 003 and look at the image...look at the speedometer cable adapter (2) in the picture. It sits on the driver side of the transfer case.

197104a39571

Had a local look at the truck. The leaking cable was the speedo cable. I guess it's filled with fluid the prevent the cable from burning lol. Then the leaking brake fluid came from the wheel cylinders. I ordered rebuild kits for the wheel cylinders. It was brake fluid al over the wheels. Also ordered a new speedo cable.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the new Deuce, its good you already got 200 miles under your belt with the truck, I dont know your level of knowledge with these trucks but I guarantee its going to go UP! One thing I recommend to all the folks who get trucks on this site is we have an area on the site that is dedicated to the Technical Manuals (TMs) for virtually all of our trucks. The TMs are a resource that is invaluable to you during your time of ownership, if you use the ones on this site they are available for free or if you want your own set there are a couple places you can order them from! Congrats Once again on joining the Green lunacy!

Karl

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a local look at the truck. The leaking cable was the speedo cable. I guess it's filled with fluid the prevent the cable from burning lol. Then the leaking brake fluid came from the wheel cylinders. I ordered rebuild kits for the wheel cylinders. It was brake fluid al over the wheels. Also ordered a new speedo cable.
This is the time to look at all the flex hoses and steel brake lines, since you will need to bleed the brakes anyway. Also, check which brake fluid you have in the system (DOT-3 or DOT-5) and decide what you want to do (there are advantages/disadvantages to having either one). You cannot mix. You probably know that the truck has a single-circuit brake system. One blowout of a hose and no brakes at all. There is no way one can be too careful with maintaining brakes on these trucks.

Of course you want to check master cylinder for leaks and at least lube the air pack. Preventive maintenance 101.

Good luck and loads of fun with the new truck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks