• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Bikini" bed cover for shortened cargo beds

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never been one for a full cargo cover for a few reasons;1) not easily removable and installed, 2) having to modify one to fit my sectioned out 10' bed and 3) I really want just enough cover to provide shade with the sides fully open. I was using folded 10' X 20' camo netting to 10' X 10' for a little shade, but they are very time consuming and difficult to take on and off. The sun also wreaked havoc on them if I left them on.

I had been looking and looking for something that could be install and removed with ease and stored somewhat compactly when not in use. After a long search, I stumbled upon a viable solution. I found a listing on an auction site for tent pole bags for $20 a piece plus shipping (they are still available). When open they laid out flat. The bags are 167" in full length, 45"+ longer than my bed. However, I only need the cover to span from my second bow to the last which is about 100"+. Now, these bags have tapered ends. The distance between the tapered ends was listed by the seller as 104". That was nearly a perfect fit for my set up. The width was listed at 45 1/2" which is obviously too narrow. So, I bought two and would figure on overlapping them to get the width I needed.
IMG_2884.jpgIMG_2880.jpgIMG_2882.jpg

I threw them up on the truck's bows and the inside length worked out great. I pulled the sides to just about where the locking arm rivet is on the bow corners. I then marked the where the two covers overlapped with a Sharpie. The long straps on the end double back and strap to the opposite end pulled tight to secure top covers. However, the ring type buckles had much to be desired. So, I would grab some GI 1" alligator buckles and would have those installed in place of the rings. I found a great auto upholsterer nearby work and took the covers to him on my lunch. He stitched them together and installed the alligator buckles to the two "V" shaped straps at one end in an a afternoon. I picked the new assembly on the way home.
The, now, finished cover installed nicely. The strapping system worked well tightening up to cover to the bows. It worked a little too well and the taught cover was canting the outer bow corners inward. To counteract that I replaced the fiberglass staves with rectangular tube steel. Much better set up as the corners fit snugly on the steel staves and the staves fit more snug in the troop seat stakes.
I also removed most of the unnecessary straps and d-rings.
IMG_2904.jpgIMG_3215.jpgIMG_2928.jpgIMG_3218.jpg

I noticed after some road and freeway driving the ends of the cover liked to creep inward on the bows. The sides liked to flap upward a little when caught by a breeze from underneath. After some thought, I devised a system to secure the cover at the bow corners. I obtained eight straps that are used to secure the cover bows under the front of dropside 5-ton beds. They had alligator buckles on them and I removed them. I installed metal finishing tips to the open ends of the straps. With the cover installed, I marked the locations of all eight bow corners centerlines on the covers. I took the cover back to the upholsterer and had him stitch on the salvaged (strap) alligator buckles. I had the buckles stitched so the ends were just at the edge of the cover. I installed 5'16"-18 X 1 3/4" allen head screws in the captive nut found in the center of the curve of the bow corners and lock them down with a jam nut on the inside of the curve. I used allen heads because they are narrow enough for the "eye" end of the straps to fit over and just enough "lip"to keep the eyes from slipping off when tightened. With the cover centered up, I tightened all the straps and it has cured all the side flapping. When the cover is removed the straps are loosened slightly and come right off the allen screw heads heads. When I store the cover the straps are left in place on the alligator buckles for ease of installation next around.

IMG_3315.jpgIMG_3316.jpg
Strap finishing tips.jpgIMG_3318.jpgIMG_3319.jpgIMG_3317.jpg

The cover installs in less the 10 minutes as long as it is folded with the underside facing out. It removes in less than 5. The folded cover fits into a current issue GI duffel bag which is roughly 34" L X 15" Square. The zippered top makes it very easy to fit it inside. I still have room to fit other items in the bag including cargo nets for the rear of the bed and a "bikini" cab top.
Duffle Bag.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks