• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV FMTV replacement or upgrade air dryers

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I get several pms every week from members looking for the upgraded lmtv air dryers. I DONT HAVE ANY MORE. Have not had them for some time. The air dryer you want is the Haldex purest type. The civilian model works fine it just has a 12v heater and the lmtv uses a 24v heater. It’s 3 screws on the bottom to change the heater very easy to do. There are several threads on this already. It’s a good upgrade to do the original finned air dryer does not do an adequate job of stopping moisture coming into the brake system.
Will

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
There is also the Wabco air dryer as well that is pretty abundant on the ebay market for cheap. That can run a 12 or 24v heater it just has to be inserted. In the hotter climates you could just leave that cover on.

Wabco uses the same bolt mounts as the purest air. The fittings are just Boss threads instead of pipe. Is it around 1/3 the size of the Purest and stock air dryer on the LMTV and the weight is alot less. Filters are also around $12 each on ebay.

scottmandu

Is it around 1/3 the size of the Purest and stock air dryer on the LMTV and the weight is alot less. Filters are also around $12 each on ebay.
How does this size affect the replacement intervals on the cartridge? Smaller isn't always better.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Pretty much anything is an upgrade from the tube with fins that originally came on the truck. The tube came before the M939 (pure air plus) abs air dryer and the purest is the next model up from that.

Amer-team

That is a lot of miles on a military truck. If someone is going out swamping and mud bogging it every weekend, they should do more frequent maintenance, but it seems that there might be a point of diminishing returns. My 5T probably gets 3 thousand a year and is babied. So don't think it needs a new one every two years. But it may.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks