• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-016D Electric Fuel Pump Issues

Max Bladwin

Hello,
I could use some help troubleshooting an issue with the fuel pump that is between the day tank and belly tank on my MEP-016D with a Yanmar engine.
The issue is it never fills the day tank.
Here is what I have tried and observed.
For testing purposes I have bypassed the float switch in the tank and still have the issue. I have tested for voltage at the pump and it is about 60v. With the unit off I have hooked 24v directly up to the pump. I hear a single click and when I remove the voltage a small amount of fuel will come out of the hose. If I did this over and over it would eventually fill the tank. Is there some kind of electrical component that makes the pump oscillate or does it run non stop of current is applied?

strycnine

Mine run steady until the running tank fills up. I had an issued with one of mine and I took the pump apart and it was gummed up. After cleaning it worked good.

Those pumps have a RF capacitor on them. It might be going bad, you can remove it and the pump will still work,

Last edited:

Max Bladwin

Thanks for responding.
So if I hear you correctly, if you hooked current to the pump if would make more then a single click? That it would pump repeatedly?
The RF capacitor is the box attached to the positive wire on the pump correct?

Given the way the fuel smelled the 1st time I pulled the hoses a gummed up pump would not surprise me.

Guyfang

Staff member
Yes, it should do more then just click once. Remove the pump. Take it apart. Put it in a tub of carberater cleaner and let it sit a day or three. Reassemble and hook it up. You will know when the RFI Capacitor is bad. The pump will not function at all.

strycnine

Thanks for responding.
So if I hear you correctly, if you hooked current to the pump if would make more then a single click? That it would pump repeatedly?
The RF capacitor is the box attached to the positive wire on the pump correct?

Given the way the fuel smelled the 1st time I pulled the hoses a gummed up pump would not surprise me.
Only time mine has pumped is when the generator was running. So I haven't actually heard any clicking.

Have you ran the generator? When i got both of mine the upper fuel tank was full of rusty sediment. The injection pumps were also gummed up and had to be cleaned.

Max Bladwin

Yeah. It runs ok. Voltage regulator needed to be replaced.
Yesterday before I posted about the fuel pump I cleaned the sediment bowl and ran the generator with a load. After about 30 min of running the bowl was still empty. Keep in mind the day tank was very low. When I checked the connections and unplugged the pump I noticed a small amount of fuel was in the bowl. This is when I found that applying current and taking it away would it pump a little.
You know, I didnt check if the current was AC or DC.

strycnine

Capture+_2018-08-13-14-04-17.jpg

Mine isn't hooked up because I've added a triplejim regulator/rectifier. I added a charging circuit so I can charge my batteries.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks