• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Avoid Titan 32” thumb on the FLU419

samtheman2444

Good morning everyone, I've been considering adding a thumb as well. Like many of you I figured some modification would be required to allow the backhoe to store properly. Currently I'm out of town on a business trip but I would love to get a thumb ordered before I get home. I was wondering if anyone could give me the measurement from the tooth to the top of the bucket? I see some reference to the bucket being 24 inches. What size thumbs have people used?

Speedwoble

The 24” bucket is 24” wide. Measured frame the dipper arm to the edge of the bucket(not including teeth), it is 30 or 31” long off the top of my head. A 32” thumb will fit.

Speedwoble

I try not to call things garbage. As an engineer, I understand customer's abilities to use a device well outside of the design intent. So maybe I am somehow using it improperly. Maybe the 32" thumb is the wrong product for the FLU. Certainly I modified it by cutting a chunk out so the bucket would close fully with the thumb stored.
But today, on my second use, the thumb completely twisted. Between my experience with bent pins, poor storing strategy and disappointing help from Titan, I just cannot recommend it. I will head to the CAD computer and see what I can do differently for the FLU.
IMG_3886s.jpgIMG_3887s.jpgIMG_3888s.jpg

Last edited:

Toolee

Speedwoble: Just curious--what were you "thumbing" with it when it bent?
[edit] Nevermind--I saw the mulberry tree post. I have some logs to move--will keep my eye out for bending.

Last edited:

samtheman2444

I had a similar issue of mine bending when I picked up a log and it bumped into something. I believe the issue is related to the removed material in the middle of the thumb. Though it's necessary to allow clearence of the center tooth to fully close I think it compromises the structural integrity of the thumb. We are no doubt operating this implement in a way it was not originally intended with our modifications. That being said I think it can still be made to work. I'm going to weld some reinforcing framing on the outside edges of the thumb where there is room to help mitigate this twisting and bending. I'll update with pictures when I'm done.

Pinsandpitons

Agreed, in cross section that thumb is an I-beam and isn’t gusseted for twisting. I just installed one on my SEE, and I think maybe I should throw some chunks of half-inch in the channel on the bucket side. I’m sure it doesn’t help that it’s just normal mild steel.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a similar issue of mine bending when I picked up a log and it bumped into something.

We are no doubt operating this implement in a way it was not originally intended with our modifications.
Yes, I think that's part of a the problem. A big part.

A thumb, as I understand it, is intended to grip something with. That would be a force almost entirely in line with the hinge points.
Start tweaking it by inducing side loads on it, and all bets are off.

Not to rag on Speedwoble here, but if I were to remove a tree, the thumb would only be a hindrance, I think. After all it's more of a breaking/digging operation.
Once the tree is down, a thumb can be used to move it off to the side, but that's just as easy to do by pushing it away with the bucket.

Then again, I have no experience with using a thumb on a SEE whatsoever...mine is still not installed. That's largely because I have yet to need to pick something up/grab something with the SEE.

Speedwoble

Not to rag on Speedwoble here, but if I were to remove a tree, the thumb would only be a hindrance, I think. After all it's more of a breaking/digging operation.
Once the tree is down, a thumb can be used to move it off to the side, but that's just as easy to do by pushing it away with the bucket.
No offense taken. If you ever enjoyed playing with the crane game at a carnival, then put a thumb on a backhoe, you will want to pick up everything. Force multiplication is fun. Certainly if I were interested purely in efficiency, I wouldn’t have bought a FLU. I enjoy showing off a bit.

419g

But today, on my second use, the thumb completely twisted. Between my experience with bent pins, poor storing strategy and disappointing help from Titan, I just cannot recommend it. I will head to the CAD computer and see what I can do differently for the FLU.
View attachment 767835
Found the HD thumb what you think?

Ps, where did you plug/plum hydraulics to your thumb? and what are you using to operate it? Is the steel Ductile iron?

Thank you for your posts, always very helpful!

EDIT: I guess there are Non hydraulic Thumbs?

Ok I'm educated now, mind blown ! Do you have any updated recommendation on brands of thumb to use?

Attachments

Last edited:

Speedwoble

Found the HD thumb what you think?
…..

Ok I'm educated now, mind blown ! Do you have any updated recommendation on brands of thumb to use?
No, I do not have new recommendations. I addressed the Titan HD thumb on the prior page. It may be able to be modified to put the pins in shear rather than bending.

f800

I still stand behind my recommendation for the HD 32 inch from Titan. I use Toolee's strategy of removing the stabilizer bar and storing it for folding the backhoe. I was amazed at the power of the backhoe, lifting 24+inch 30 ft trees. My use was limited and didn't involve any twisting forces. Trees were already downed

419g

I still stand behind my recommendation for the HD 32 inch from Titan. I use Toolee's strategy of removing the stabilizer bar and storing it for folding the backhoe. I was amazed at the power of the backhoe, lifting 24+inch 30 ft trees. My use was limited and didn't involve any twisting forces. Trees were already downed
f800 Any mounting tips or measurements regarding where you want to weld the thumb on to the boom? I just Ordered a HD one Thank you!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks