• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can't Find Info On My M998

The Wazu

Hello all,

I purchased M998 HMMWV about two weeks ago. I've done countless research on these vehicles and thought to have purchased the 6.5 Turbo diesel which is very close to the GM Turbo Diesel. In the ad of the HMMWV, it didn't state what engine was in it, just stated its a Turbo Diesel. Well to my surprise it has a International VT275 Turbo Diesel. A 6 cyc. Diesel?? Very confused. I contacted the seller and he seemed to think it was a prototype M998. So my question to you guys/gals, have you seen anything like this before? I've done countless research to find a VT swap, or even a diagram on this but nothing.

It also has other odds and ends. Electronic ECU's, Electronic throttle, alternator mounted underneath next to the bell housing. A bunch of custom made brackets and many more. I can supply pictures if anyone is interested but really I'm just curious to see what I have here. Anyone know?

The Wazu

IMG_0417.jpgIMG_0411.jpgIMG_0414.jpgIMG_0412.jpgIMG_0413.jpgIMG_0415.jpgIMG_0416.jpgIMG_0410.jpgIMG_0409.jpg

Pic's as requested. I don't think its been hacked. I mean it all looks pretty well done if so. It does run and drive, however it is missing a power steering pump so it wont run long since nothing is moving the water pump. But you can see the odd things about it. Hood opens up backwards, fuel management systems, electronic throttle, custom oil pan with lower alternator. The list goes on. Plus the turbo being mounted below the driver seat. Also note its not a twin turbo set up as the rest of the Vt's are. Different as well. Talked to the previous owner and he bought it from govplanet like that. He couldn't find the power steering pump bracket, which is very hard to find, so he decided to pull the engine and put a gasser engine swap in. After letting it sit for a year he decided to sell it whole and not try the swap. Then i came in. I have all the original documents from gov planet showing the sale. So no one knows anything about this? What do y'all think?

The Wazu

Currently its on a roll back, I found and ordered a Power Steering Pump, will be in by the end of the week so ill you guys know. It does run just fine though, turbo whistler for sure.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not DoD approved modification AFAIK. Outside of Banks Turbo kit and similar upgrades, I've never heard of something like this. That alternator would be the first thing to get damaged or removed via ground or forklift. Air filter is non-standard... Lots of interesting stuff, well done, but then you have household wiring caps holding some wires together...

I'm not saying it's a one off or TACOM modified prototype of something, but it was modified after it left regular service. Maybe a Hybrid prototype? That would explain the "EMP" box.

The Wazu

It is weird, I see that connector you are talking about by the turbo bikeman. I don't like that. It did however come with a massive and heavy skid plate for that alternator. Those wires in the picture tuck up to a plastic clamp. Just weird, weirder it was bought like that at auction. He paid a pretty penny for it, says a military officer thinks it was a prototype but in all the years he was stationed he never saw it move. Seller rumored there were five made... I don't know how true that is or not but definitely a cool build. Cant wait to drive it, needs some tlc and buttoning up in certain spots. Any idea what that cable goes to in the dog house? ebrake?

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 737849View attachment 737843View attachment 737846View attachment 737844View attachment 737845View attachment 737847View attachment 737848View attachment 737842View attachment 737841

Pic's as requested. I don't think its been hacked. I mean it all looks pretty well done if so. It does run and drive, however it is missing a power steering pump so it wont run long since nothing is moving the water pump. But you can see the odd things about it. Hood opens up backwards, fuel management systems, electronic throttle, custom oil pan with lower alternator. The list goes on. Plus the turbo being mounted below the driver seat. Also note its not a twin turbo set up as the rest of the Vt's are. Different as well. Talked to the previous owner and he bought it from govplanet like that. He couldn't find the power steering pump bracket, which is very hard to find, so he decided to pull the engine and put a gasser engine swap in. After letting it sit for a year he decided to sell it whole and not try the swap. Then i came in. I have all the original documents from gov planet showing the sale. So no one knows anything about this? What do y'all think?

Very Interesting, any chance of getting pics of the ID plate and such

That alternator set up is interesting, but not, what does the skid plate look like

Last edited:

The Wazu

Okay guys. I went to the link M1078MAN provided and called the number for the service department. They then forwarded me to a man who told me everything about this hummwv. Looks like it was one of ten prototypes. All of which were scrapped besides one. I’m guessing I have that one. They also made twenty five VT365 which are the v8 options. All of which should of been scrapped as well. It’s got a 5 speed over drive 2000 series transmission and it is a twin turbo set up. He asked for some pictures and I’ll give you guys some more info on it! So cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Wazu

Unicorn indeed. I like that. I’m going I do more digging tomorrow and see what I can find. Hopefully some diagrams or general info about this swap

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At least one prototype like this came out of I think in Wright Patterson. I remember a tan unit with a different drivetrain and the different hood alignment. Fuzzy on exact time line when but I recall someone posting it here or on G503.

The Wazu

At least one prototype like this came out of I think in Wright Patterson. I remember a tan unit with a different drivetrain and the different hood alignment. Fuzzy on exact time line when but I recall someone posting it here or on G503.
I would like to know more about this if you can find it. Oddly enough I live a stone throw away from Wright Patternson. We see all sorts of odd things but then they vanish. I don’t know how mine slipped through the cracks. Talking to that guy earlier today he was very surprised I got my hands on one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks