• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another ill conceived trip - 1500 miles in a HMMWV. KS to the FL/GA line

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Departing KS 21 AUG, stopping by Wes's in Memphis and picking up a spare wheel and tire. Proceeding to Mobile AL and picking up a welder on a small trailer, continuing on to Valdosta GA.

The HMMWV in question is a garden variety M998 with the gutless turd of a 6.2 and 3 speed. I'll be cruising 55ish, doors off and back curtain open. I'd rather take the M925, but I just don't have enough stuff to move this trip to be worth the additional fuel expense.

Lighting will be augmented with the wrecker tow lights hung from the tailgate and then moved to the welder when I pick it up. I can't decide whether or not to drag along a set of towbars for possible breakdown....

I'm going to bring along a pallet of 40mm cans for ad hoc sales at fuel stops. I have a couple of cargo covers to hand off on the way as well.

Sadly I won't be in GA for the GA rally. I'll be departing GA 28 Sep. The next event will be the KAMO in early October.

Pics to follow as the trip begins....

20180430_151538.jpg

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are brave or crazy. Either way it will be interesting to follow along at home. I wouldn't want to do that drive in a Lexus, much less a HMMWV. YBBMV (Your Back and Butt May Vary)
Bulldogger

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have so many road miles on your donkey now the blisters are gone and calluses are well built up. Should be no problem.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ill be around and in the area in case the HMMWV needs to be carried somewhere. Somewhere south of Macon, MS you get into CSM Davis' territory. Should cover you to Mobile.

Last edited:

sandcobra164

I'm in Leesburg, north of Albany which you will find on the map around 90 miles NW from Valdosta. Simp will send you my contact info as he is a genius when it comes to networking but if you run into a tight spot, reach out and I'll help.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Sadly I won't be in GA for the GA rally. I'll be departing GA 28 Sep.
Well, we're just going to have steal the control box or something.

"oh well, guess I'm stuck in Ga. Maybe I can get another box at the rally"

Lust4GreenSteel

Nothing better than a vicarious road trip with pictures. Your trips are always fun (for us) watching the "stuff" that happens and how you work your way out of the situations.

Way more guts (and skills) than I have.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck and God's speed! Extra foam for seat cushions? I'm in the wrong area of the country to be of much assistance.................... willing though. Looking forward to the pics, John.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bring your defibrillator to restart your heart every time the radiator fan goes on!!!
Yeah, it is somewhat pronounced isn't it? Similarly startling in a 5ton.

By the way, I anticipate stopping for the night in Springfield tomorrow evening. I have some more of those cargo covers that don't fit your truck.... :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks