• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another ill conceived trip - 1500 miles in a HMMWV. KS to the FL/GA line

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll make timing convenient.....it won't be 0200. That's a carnac thing, lol....20180821_121241.jpg

Pics from today's Walmart stop. Got in about 400miles today. HMMWV running fine, cruising 55ish. 191miles on 13.2 gallons of fuel.

I'd have more pics, but the phone died. Hopefully I'll do better tomorrow.....

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fan cycling on and off like it should. Sun went down and the temp dropped and the frequency and duration of "fan on" decreased.

14.5mpg is better than I expected. This includes idling on start up and idling before shut down.

I'm running 40psi in the tires. This seems like a good compromise between over pressuring the o-ring and over flexing the sidewalls. I'm not particularly heavily loaded - the pallet of cans is probably 1000lbs and the rest is negligible. I don't notice any difference in ride quality or braking.

I plan to arrive at simp''s midafternoon today and Mobile tomorrow.

Edit to add a pic from the motel parking lot...

20180822_101936.jpg

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
John got here about 1420hrs and departed around 1710hrs. Had to put a little Memphis BBQ in him and give him 3 spare tires to make it along his way.

I will say that his HMMWV is the only one I have ever let park in my driveway. I hope they do not multiply.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Simp is about 100 miles behind me.

Some things Wes gets backwards- he's the one doing me a favor, so I should be buying lunch. Instead Wes bought the BBQ. The ribs were good.

And I went from having zero spare tires to having three.

20180822_153613.jpg

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Simp is about 100 miles behind me.

Some things Wes gets backwards- he's the one doing me a favor, so I should be buying lunch. Instead Wes bought the BBQ. The ribs were good.

And I went from having zero spare tires to having three.

View attachment 738991

Congrats on the BBQ and the spares!!! Favors among friends are like grains of salt, sometimes small, sometimes large, always in good taste!! One of the reasons I like this site....some great level headed, like minded troops!! Stay safe and rubber side down!!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I see it as getting crap out of my way! Just ask warren. Showed up for 5 tires. Left with 8 or so and all kinda 920 parts and went from getting 15mpg to 8mpg dragging all that not needed stuff home. Just wait till you head back home!

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck and it's contents were still here this morning. Pretrip inspection shows no anomalies - full of transmission fluid, coolant, and oil. With no oil in the coolant and no coolant in the oil.

One thing it is doing - it pukes coolant at hot idle. Temp doesn't go high, but when I stop for fuel and let it idle while fueling it'll spit some coolant about the time the fuel tank is full. I attribute this to heat expansion and being slightly over full. If anyone else has an opinion I'd like to read it....

Today the plan is a leisurely drive to Mobile. Tomorrow I'll pick up the welder and head towards GA. I'll spend a month or so there and then the KAMO rally...

Oh, and my left thigh is sunburned from running with the doors off yesterday....

And I made a can sale - lunch money!

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
John,
Should be good now, over serviced coolant systems will puke the overage out. Either through the coolant overflow or coolant reservoir overflow. That truck will be very reliable after this steady trip. Exersice keeps these vehicle running good.
Stay safe
JC

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John,
Should be good now, over serviced coolant systems will puke the overage out. Either through the coolant overflow or coolant reservoir overflow. That truck will be very reliable after this steady trip. Exersice keeps these vehicle running good.
Stay safe
JC
This was my impression as well. This is the first time it's been thoroughly heat soaked for an extended period.

Thanks for your input.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks