• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another ill conceived trip - 1500 miles in a HMMWV. KS to the FL/GA line

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are you using for "radio", tunes, news? Earbuds? smart phone? I know the first time I drove a bike 1,500 miles, I did a LOT of mental "singing" cause they didn't have helmet radios back then! LOL Flinstones, meet the Flinstones.................ARGH!!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Just the rattle of ammo cans in the back. ....
Sounds familiar. I very rarely listen to the radio. by the end of a 2200 mile trip, I've solved world hunger, mentally sung ever song and I know and some I don't, invented 20 new products, figured out what the government really needs to address and solved it.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some random thoughts -

LEO had minimal interest in me. I had one follow me onto I29 from the airport in KC. He stayed behind me about 4 exits and then went away.

Comparing oranges and grapefruit - the HMMWV holds speed on hills better than a 5ton, but a 5ton has a higher top speed. The 5ton is probably overall the more comfortable (less uncomfortable) road trip vehicle.

The HMMWV didn't even notice the welder behind it. Merging into the interstate it was like it wasn't even there. Since I can't see it, I was concerned something had happened and that it really wasn't there. I pulled over and got out and went and looked at it....

I made a wrong turn and had to turn around in tight quarters. Apparently I turned tight enough to pull my light plug out and dragged it the last 40 miles. #&=;%;#*"&!!!!

The HMMWV would cruise faster than the 53-57mph I was using. I had to keep an eye on it or I'd look down and see the speedo needle well past 60....

The welder exceeds expectations and bears little resemblance to the auction ad. It isn't 3phase, and it isn't INOP. It seems a customer damaged the trailer it was on. Corporate was notified and so it went onto the auction list. Meanwhile, the rental site put a brand new trailer under it. Result - they auctioned it with a brand new trailer, LOL....

The welder tows nose high behind the HMMWV. I compensated for that by tilting my tow lights.

And just think, I get to do it all again in about a month :)

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow John....did you get a great deal on the welder? Darn they are expensive. Have safe travel home.

BrassBuilder

The welder exceeds expectations and bears little resemblance to the auction ad. It isn't 3phase, and it isn't INOP. It seems a customer damaged the trailer it was on. Corporate was notified and so it went onto the auction list. Meanwhile, the rental site put a brand new trailer under it. Result - they auctioned it with a brand new trailer, LOL....
I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate...but I'm guessing you are a happy camper with this buy? :)
Mike

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The trip back to KS has begun.

I used the HMMWV as a daily driver while in GA.

Traveling together with the Jeep JKU pulling the travel trailer and the HMMWV pulling the welder. Cruising 55ish.

The HMMWV is getting about 12mpg pulling the welder.

Made Valdosta GA to Chattanooga TN on day one, and just west of St Louis last night.

I'll be dropping by MWMules in KCY tomorrow afternoon or evening.

It rained essentially nonstop yesterday. The soft top would dump a deluge of water on me after every stop..... SOG!

Attachments

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made it to the farmhouse in KS last night.

Started the trip at 96*, ended the trip freezing to death in the mid 40's.

And J woke up this morning with what I believe is a kidney stone in her one remaining kidney. Off to the hospital we go...

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Thanks for the quick visit and sorry to hear about the stone, I wound not wish one on my worst enemy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks