• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

engine mounts CAT or SS

coachgeo

engine mounts CAT or StSt

saw engine mount question elsewhere and it got me thinking... (yeah I know...... dangerous thing) but are they CAT or StSt? Im thinking maybe both? CAT all the way down to bottom of rubber engine mount.. and chassis riser being StSt? Granted it could be the rubber is totally separate from the two metal support members above and below it. Am under impression rubber is formed into the support member attached to engine thus assumption that it is a CAT part.... and that whole unit is mounted to chassis riser with the 2 bolts at bottom and the center bolt thru it all.

EngineMount.jpg

Ps- did search first (and still am). One thread mentioned them so far

Attachments

Last edited:

coachgeo

...They are Stewart and Stevenson's part numbers.....
if not mistaken they put military part numbers on anything even if it is a commercial product. As shown in post #3 above... which leads to the manufacture info. Not sure if it is off shelf from that manufacture or if it was custom built by manufacture (Barry Controls) for StSt.. my guess is off shelf as much of this truck is.

spankybear

When you say military part number are you saying the national stick number or the us army tank command number?

scottmandu

Engine mounts are S&S military and are proprietary. I'd avoid NOS or surplus as they are often years or decades old, and rubber does have a shelf life. That mount you have pictured there is 8 years old...

Last edited:

coachgeo

thanks' as always Scott you offer up the most exacting details. Much appreciate!!!

so I guess if one wants to replace them; in a perfect world, should contact "Barry Controls" and in the non perfect world lol... if Barry won't sell to individual and/or are ridiculously priced then guess 8yrs old is better than 18-20 yrs old that is on your truck ?? or try to find a commercial truck or Tractor equivalent?

Last edited:

scottmandu

thanks' as always Scott you offer up the most exacting details. Much appreciate!!! so I guess if one wants to replace them; in a perfect world, should contact "Barry Controls" and in the non perfect world lol... if Barry won't sell to individual and/or are ridiculously priced then guess 8yrs old is better than 18-20 yrs old that is on your truck ?? or try to find a commercial truck equivalent?
BAE will sell them, but there is usually a minimum order quantity and you will have to wait a bit to have them made, but they will be fresh!

As far as age of the items, It's hard to tell, I've seen a few trucks come into my shop that had the mounts replaced by the government and were just a few years old. When buying surplus you really don't know why the parts were sold, were they out of date? Were they defective? Who knows? As far as Barry Controls, I've not dealt with them, but some manufacturers will gladly sell to the public, some won't due to the items being proprietary.

I certainly could use a few pairs as I have customer trucks that have cracked mounts and I'm sure some of my own trucks could use a fresh set.

coachgeo

..... As far as Barry Controls, I've not dealt with them, but some manufacturers will gladly sell to the public, some won't due to the items being proprietary.

I certainly could use a few pairs as I have customer trucks that have cracked mounts and I'm sure some of my own trucks could use a fresh set.
if you contact Barry for your needs... please do let rest of us know if they are a potential place to get them from or not. Thanks in advance.

spankybear

Get a quote from WB parts, the link you posted above. Can't hurt. I believe there was some person who got a windshield from them or someone like them. Have to search....

The mounts pictures have the CAGE code 3bu33 that belongs to ERA INDUSTRIAL SALES CORP INC. ....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks