• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for a Rockwell axle shop

Spoolinup

Well I've been searching for a local shop around the Bay Area or Sacramento area to replace dust seals on the 2.5 Rockwell axles and having no luck. Does anyone know of a somewhat local shop.

Thanks in advance.

Dane

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you've got decent dexterity, and a few handtools, the guy in the mirror could probably put on a set of zipper-type boots without much problem.

Last edited:

Spoolinup

Thanks MN,
Yea, it doesn't look very difficult, but work is so busy and I have no time,ugh. Good problem though. Plus would be kinda hard to do at my house, driveway has an incline...

Menaces Nemesis

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks MN,
Yea, it doesn't look very difficult, but work is so busy and I have no time,ugh. Good problem though. Plus would be kinda hard to do at my house, driveway has an incline...
I've got the same problem here with sloping asphalt everywhere... I just remove one wheel/do one boot, hub, etc. at a time, with it in gear, brake set, fuel shut-off locked, and chock the bejesus outta the tires that are still on the ground.

Spoolinup

Well, then I might just do the zipper boots, I've heard their not very good, buy better than turns ones.
Thanks again

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Menaces Nemesis

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, then I might just do the zipper boots, I've heard their not very good, buy better than turns ones.
Thanks again

I bought/installed a set of zipper boots from Erik's about a year and a half/7,000 miles ago, and they're doing great. From what I've read, seems the quality has gotten much better over the last few years. If you need to disassemble the ends of the axle, or just want to, to inspect and learn how it all goes together, then the solid boots may be the way to go. But in your case (limited time) the zipper jobs may work really well for you. Works much better if someone can help you for just the few minutes it takes on each side to accurately place and secure the big rings, otherwise, it's really pretty easy. - MN

Spoolinup

Yea, just bought the zipper boot kit, good to hear about the longevity you have experienced. Think when I have more time I'll look into the u joints and wheel bearings.
Thanks for you help

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Remember that it has to be clean before putting on replacement boot, Dawn is your friend for cleaning it up.
One can just use a longer replacement take up screw, needle nose Vise Grips, to run the socket wrench on the nut. Erwin clamps are the things to have. Not a difficult job but it has to be clean and the Erwin helping hands work good.
It was 92F° in the shade when I last did the job, so yes, a frosty mug helps too.

IMG_5382.jpgIMG_5337.jpgIMG_5405.jpgIMG_5407.jpgIMG_5410.jpg

Menaces Nemesis

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just like Frank did, it's a very good idea to at least double-nut the ring screws. He went all-out and even nylocked 'em too... nice.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
These photos depict the grease outlet hole which should be pulled and cleaned out and is removed when greasing.
It is in the TM.
Think nomenclature, dust boots, boots are NOT something to hold IN grease.
It says dust boots, not grease boots.
Grease of any flavor, even GAA eats boots.
Grease is NOT to be inside the boots.
Clean it and clean it again. One may see much more life out of the boots that way.
Just attempting to help.
The TM is available just about everywhere. PM and I will send it.
GAA outlet hole IMG_5345.jpgIMG_5407.jpg

Spoolinup

Great info thanks Frank, Love the pictures and attention to detail. Thanks again. Where's the like button, lol

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks