• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission band indicator

vampeel

Hi all, I recently got an 1952 XM211.
I am going through almost every maintenance I can find, so I decided to adjust the front transmission band.
To start off the adjuster and check pin are probably the most difficult place they could have put it, but I digress.

My real issue is when I removed the pin cover bolt and started adjusting the adjustment screw, both in and out, I never saw the adjustment pin become level with the body. I followed the instruction in the manual (I forget the book number).

It appears the check pin is missing. Is there a work around? Am I missing something, like do I need to have a pin to drop into the hole?

Transmission was rebuilt about 3k ago, and has REB shifter.

DUUANE

Hi, i havnt got into mine that far yet, but i know one of the more learned members will have the wizdom.
Welcome to GMC deuce land :beer:

SturmTyger380

Are you sure the pin is missing? If I remember correctly the pin is actually attached to the band. The pin my truck has does not look anything like the nice big flat one in the manual. It is a more narrow thing, looks almost like a cut off nail in the hole.

Hydramatic Bands.jpg

rustystud

View attachment Scan0276.pdf
Hi all, I recently got an 1952 XM211.
I am going through almost every maintenance I can find, so I decided to adjust the front transmission band.
To start off the adjuster and check pin are probably the most difficult place they could have put it, but I digress.

My real issue is when I removed the pin cover bolt and started adjusting the adjustment screw, both in and out, I never saw the adjustment pin become level with the body. I followed the instruction in the manual (I forget the book number).

It appears the check pin is missing. Is there a work around? Am I missing something, like do I need to have a pin to drop into the hole?

Transmission was rebuilt about 3k ago, and has REB shifter.
removed

Attachments

Last edited:

rustystud

I should have mentioned it is far easier to perform the "external" adjustments before you need to dive in and perform the "internal" adjustments. Internal adjustments are performed when there is extreme wear of the band material.

vampeel

Well I have done some adjustment already and I hope I did not mess up my tranny.

I am trying to do the adjustment that the below picture explain. I get the impression that the transmission always need adjusting, maybe that do to overworking/overloading the trucks regularly.

Well the picture look to me a flat pin pop up under the from under the indicator-pin plug.
Is there a drop in pin I am suppose to use?

I tried to take a pic of the indicator-pin hole, it was hard since it under the shifter tower, and is hard to get at.

IMG_20180814_130452442.jpgpg16.jpgpg17.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like your pin is not there. I have done this adjustment a few times, and the pin is always there bobbing around as the engine runs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks