• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hutchinson Run Flat Inserts

Campdog

I have some run flat inserts and would like to install them in my Michelin XZL 16R20 tires but can’t find a vendor who has the machine or know how to install them. I’ve called and emailed Hutchinson numerous times and they won’t respond. Tried the Army at Toby Hanna where they have the machine to do it and they won’t do contract work. Does anyone know where the work can be done?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
There are the bolt together types on Ebay for 395s but they will work in 1600s. you will just fall a little bit more than a typical 1600. Most places will not install them due to safety reasons.

Or just buy 1600s on hemtt wheels that have the runflats installed already

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never installed them, but there is a tool with a belt that squeezes them into a shape that can be inserted into the tire far enough to get the entire runflat in before releasing the belt so it expands/returns to the round shape inside the tire. Note valve position and insert valve channel. Again, I have not installed, just have a stack of them and the hydraulic tool used to install them.

Campdog

I’ve seen the HUMVEE ratchet strap for their inserts on EBay but never the one for truck tires. Please let me know if you ever see one or you find someone who’s willing to rent the use of it. I am in western PA and would drive quite a ways to get two of them done. Just want them for the front tires. Thanks.

Csm Davis

I’ve seen the HUMVEE ratchet strap for their inserts on EBay but never the one for truck tires. Please let me know if you ever see one or you find someone who’s willing to rent the use of it. I am in western PA and would drive quite a ways to get two of them done. Just want them for the front tires. Thanks.
Get a heavy duty strap and a fixture to hold the runflat up securely and a buddy with a backhoe to push it down while you tighten the strap. Then install them yourself.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
That sounds okay. When the strap is released with the insert in the tire, doesn’t it get hung up inside?
The runflat will move around inside the tire. With a little wiggle work the strap will come out. Even with a decent sized hook on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks