• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers MV of the month 2018 - August VOTE HERE!

Please vote for MV of the month

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
1. sandcobra164
sandcobra164.jpg

2. Kaiser67M715
Kaiser67M715.jpg

3. Scar59
Scar59.jpg

4. dougco1
dougco1.jpg

5. Migginsbros
Migginsbros.jpg

6. USAFSS-ColdWarrior
USAFSS-ColdWarrior.jpg

7. Coffey1
Coffey1.jpg

8. Floridianson
Floridianson.jpg

9. bigmike
bigmike.jpg

sandcobra164

Already fighting for the lead!!! I'll tell you why I think my truck is worthy of your vote. He's lived a good life and has a very supportive family. He came to me from 4th Ranger Training Battalion on Ft. Benning, GA as a base model M923A0 that had never been to rebuild. Just basic maintenance for years and years supporting the school house. I've checked and he does not have a Ranger Tab. Once in Civilian hands, I started with a thorough PMCS and washing. I'd made it into the big leagues! I quickly decided that I wanted to upgrade the tires. Member CGarbee on here traded me a set of take off 14R20's in exchange for the 10 Goodyear G177's. Member Atomic and I made the long trip to North Carolina. While I had the wheels off and the truck on stands I cleaned and packed the wheel bearings and continued with servicing tasks. Next in line for the truck many long road trips to interesting places to participate in Parades. He met The Proud American Guntruck in his first Leesburg Spirit of Christmas Parade. He's performed many local hauling duties for fellow SS'ers, picking up goods that they purchase from the GP site in Albany, Ga. I really owe it to the old truck to get it sandblasted and painted as I haven't worked on the cosmetics quite like I should. Through it all, he's only put me walking once. He's a good solid truck that puts smiles on everyone's faces but most importantly to my little buddy Briggs. Even in the 95 degree heat, General Non-Sense carried him to and from his Birthday Party. And of course we had to bring the trailer "just in case" we run out of space. Lastly, my truck plays well with others as you can see in the pictures and is likely one of the only 5 tons in South West Georgia pictured with snow on it! Thanks Kindly for your consideration. Joseph

Attachments

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
220KAK 26' Box Van Trailer

This restoration is a work in progress.... Very, Very SLOW progress so far.

She's currently parked in our back yard in such a position that photos worthy of posting are nearly impossible to be had. We have not done much toward her restoration yet as she's currently serving "dry storage duty" for various tools and equipment.

These photos are "as found".
IMG_6794.jpgIMG_6793.jpg
IMG_6792.jpgIMG_6791.jpg

The interior of the 220KAK is seemingly ORIGINAL woodwork with the bump-rails and all. Only the right rear cargo door is missing its original plywood inner skin.
The oak flooring has been covered with some thin sheets of compressed board, presumably due to wood rot on the base floor planks.
IMG_6800.jpgIMG_6799.jpgIMG_6798.jpg
Close inspection of the aluminum roof shows years of west Texas hail exposure with numerous dents.... Battle wounds, of course. Thankfully, the roof is weather-tight. The slight puddling seen on the floor in these photos is because the doors had been left open and we had had a rainstorm the night before.

Branded on the upper interior just forward of the cargo doors.
This number "662" is also showing in very faded white paint on the outside of one cargo door.
IMG_6801.jpg

The original Date Plate:
IMG_6810.jpg
Model: 220 KAK
Mfg. Ser. No. 21287
NSN No. 2330-542-2511
Vehicle Wgt. Unloaded 10250 LBS
Payload Maximum 36000 LBS
Gross Wgt. Maximum 46250 LBS
Date of Delivery 1-13-1960
Contract No. DA-20-113-ORD-24272
U.S. Property USA702100
Axle K-20-6A, Brakes 6 In.
Wheels Budd-65350-8
Drums B-1826-1
Supports Homan M-2000
Suspension Neway-632-1
Inner Brg. Timken, Inner Cup 653
Outer Brg. Timken, Outer Cup HM 212011

IMG_6813.jpg
She's wired (Original Equipment) for BOTH 24V Mil-Standard Lights AND 12V Commercial Standard Lights with separate circuits all the way to the back where she's got two sets of taillights. I have not yet chased the circuits, but I believe that the corner and upper marker lights are connected to only the 12V system.
As you can see in this photo, the 12V connection box is heavily damaged. I have not yet find a "correct" replacement for a historically accurate restoration.

HISTORY:

Built in 1960 by the KINGHAM TRAILER COMPANY in Louisville, Kentucky, USA.

To the best of my knowledge, this is a rather RARE MV to be found nowadays.

Only one other time have I found anything on the internet about a 220KAK. A few years ago there was one that popped up in an GSA-online auction. It was located in Orange, California and was in decent shape for being of the same vintage, although the auction notes said "Rust Damage". The one at auction was 1959 vintage, S/N 31175. Ours is a later vintage but bears the lower SN 21287, so we cannot tell from the SN how many might have been produced.

I have seen some photos of these trailers at ammunition facilities - factories, dockside (both in the States and Vietnam), etc.
They are officially a "Dry Goods Van" trailer, but I believe they were often used as "Sea Containers" for ammunition. Their short bodies and high payload would indicate that the density of ammunition masses in ammo cans would easily rationalize the need for such a compact yet heavy-duty design.
Being wired for both 24V & 12V electrical connections would also indicate "intermodal" functionality.

When we found her, she was languishing in an electrical contractors storage yard. When I inquired about her the old guy told me she'd been in that yard for almost 10 years and had, for the decade or so prior to that, been serving his business as a support/storage trailer at his larger job sites.
Since her undercarriage is all heavy steel, and her superstructure is all aluminum, and also considering her wooden floors and inner skin, the best local scrap price I was quoted was $0 - TOO labor intensive to dismantle!! So, I gave the guy a $400 bid and he bit!!! Not a bad price for a bit of history, huh?

So now, she's awaiting my serious efforts at restoration. We've now also acquired an XM818 as motive power for her mobility. I really have no excuse for not giving her the attention she deserves.

As for my Poll Campaign.... I'm not really expecting to gather many votes. She kinda looks like the UGLY DUCKLING.
I figure that just getting the word out that this NEARLY EXTINCT and yet beautifully restorable MV is still around MIGHT help us locate another of her pedigree... and, if there IS another, that they may breed and produce offspring, too. rofl

Last edited:

Migginsbros

This is our 1987 Freightliner Unimog FLU419 SEE (small emplacement excavator). We purchased this "small" truck with multiple features like a "leatherman tool" from a guy near Nürnberg/Germany. Also this vehicle was manufactured in Germany it was send to Freightliner Oregon to be finished to a SEE.
Due to the cold war after WWII this truck made his way back to Germany to support US forces in Germany. We were very lucky that the SEE is in very good condition, little used, and mostly sheltered most of his life. Similar to sandcobra 164 we use the SEE often for family fun and technical entertainment.
IMG_7167.jpgKiesgrube2017 001.jpgIMG_7168.jpgIMG_7163.jpgIMG_7162.jpgSEEcampaign 013.jpgSEEcampaign 013.jpgtirechange 023.jpgIMG_6632.jpgIMG_6712.jpgIMG_6623.jpgIMG_6673.jpg

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, all great candidates. Bias to the wrecker because the nick name was "??? the wrecker man".. Name changed to protect the guilty.

Love them all

sandcobra164

Ken,
Great work! I was wondering why the bed was set back so far. Now that I see it started as a tractor, I realize you had to leave room for the factory transmission cooler. I'm sure I'll get the see a closer view of the truck in October when we go to Durhamtown!

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_0505.jpgIMG_0508.jpgIMG_0514.jpgThis is the M936 that Danial Morgan recovered for me out of Warner Robbins. Basically kept is as delivered. Fresh fluids and filters. Drives like a charm and everything works.
I have a complete BII inventory for it now.

Attachments

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure why the saw mill photo loaded. Do not Vote for the 36" Oscar. The wrecker has stacked several logs at the mill.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Competition is heating up a little. I shot the first volley and appreciate that you have fired back. Friendly word of caution though, I've been here before and will start tossing pictures of the boys in!
Now THAT's a campaign strategy.... nothing short of "kissing babies" while stomping the campaign trail!!!
Can't say that's playin' dirty. Just taking note.
Maybe I should take some pics with our dogs and cats on and around the 220KAK... You know, play the PET CARD!
:jumpin:rofl:driver:

Migginsbros

We got our FLU 419 SEE in good condition but most off additional hydraulic tools are missing.
We searched world wide and collect the missing tools. We got the chainsaw from a pawn in Florida.
The hammerdrill from a underwater geology company in Germany and the very powerfull hydr. impact wrench from Yucca AZ.
Some changes on the lightning setup to make the SEE streetlegal.
IMG_6514.jpg Kiesgrube2017 003.jpg Kiesgrube2017 001.jpg Kiesgrube2017 080.jpg

sandcobra164

I've been a dad longer than I've had MV's, I've got plenty of ammo!

Attachments

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cobra's kids are cute. My wife and I were never blessed w/ children. Got plenty of nieces/nephews, dogs and cats.
However no photos w/ the wrecker. When the wrecker is running "no kids allowed" was enforced.

sandcobra164

Scar59,
Thanks for the kind comment about my boys. I think Wreckers are cool as well. In the National Guard, I'm a Recovery Section Squad Leader. I've had quite a few Wreckers starting with a M936A2, M1089, M1089A1P2 and now a M984A4. My Squad currently has a M984A4, (2) M1089A1P2's and (2) M1152A1 Contact Maintenance HMMWV's. I personally owned a M936A2 wrecker for a spell as well but someone wanted it way more than I did.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks