• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Restoration of 3 former USAF Honda CRF100F's dirt bikes

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Got the 3 via Gov Planet out of Saraland AL and thanks to the SS express got to my house in record time. These like a lot of things the US Special Operations (USSOCOM)folks use these were COTS (civilian of the shelf) by way of a GSA contractor Military ATV.com, these are the same guys who did my USAF KLX110. They now seem to just be doing, 250, 450 and 500 bikes, they are all called black mamba's, wither camo, sand or black.
black_mamba.gif black_mamba250.jpg KLX110 - Black Mamba 110 Group.jpg
They also seem do be doing a lot of side by sides and quads even tracked ones.

Any ways it looks like tthe only mods done to these was painting frames black and plastic either sand or black and put a brown vinyl seat cover over the Honda racing red stock one.

DSCN4693.jpg DSCN4694.jpg

Two of the bikes do have a GPS ball mount but no IR or other lights.
First thing is to strip and repair plastic and bikes then replace worn /broken items. Two of them will start and one is missing a lot of parts.
cfr100group.jpg
I have found the easiest way do get the paint off these is soak terry cloth rags in thinner and let set 5 mins.
DSCN4691.jpg
I think these came from the 41st airlift SQ which has been around since WWII, now a C130 SQD out of the Rock and used to be at Pope AFB
cat.jpgcatpatch squad.JPG

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
pic

Nice and cool so a great day to use stripper and thinner and continue the disassembly. It is hard to see in the pictures but when I pulled the tank and opened the air box I found light pink reddish talc like sand that is common in Iraqistand DSCN4695.jpg after wipe down. DSCN4696.jpg Most of the plastic is back to factory colors, so just need to sand out some of the dings and start the repaint, DSCN4701.jpg DSCN4700.jpg this one appears to have been sand with a black frame. DSCN4699.jpg DSCN4698.jpg Got the exhaust and heat shield off, blasted, painted DSCN4697.jpgand pipe put back on.DSCN4702.jpg
Found out that under several paint layers on the number plates DSCN4709.jpg I have H1, H3 DSCN4707.jpg and H8 which I believe are admin #'s. Two of the them also have Ram ball mounts. Ran the VIN and this really is a 2009 Honda XR100R! not a 2008 crf100f as listed.

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Frame has been cleaned, straighten, wire brushed and sanded. I have chose to use the Rust-Oleum line on this one mainly because my local (with in 25 mile) stores were out of KRYLON Fusion sand and tan. I have used it on my other bikes and had good results but now Rust-Oleum camo states it bonds to plastic so will find out. I have always used their rust reformer and any parts that had and rust prior to rebuild so know it works and their high heat flat black on tail pipes and muffler. I used the Camo flat black as overall frame paint and will finish up the plastic with camo sand this afternoon. DSCN4710.jpg DSCN4711.jpg

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It was nice not having any other things on my todo list, so I could get the first one done. It looked like crap but runs well and not a lot of missing nick-nacks. I will get the seat recovered in the future but right now is just vinyl dye. I also need to get a can of red desert, it is hard to see in the pictures but the sand was over sprayed with it and black to give it the "CAMO" look.. The hardest part of this one was cleaning /soaking the spark arrester as it was almost plugged. I lucked out as my local parts had the Honda plastic thingey bobs that connect some of the plastic together.

before CRF100f.jpgafterDSCN4718.jpg
DSCN4714.jpg DSCN4716.jpg DSCN4713.jpg DSCN4720.jpg DSCN4717.jpg DSCN4715.jpg
Well got the red desert so now it is like this, just have to add a couple of Velcro patches on the front and back.
DSCN4726.jpg DSCN4724.jpg DSCN4725.jpg

This is the next one, It appears to have started Mil life as a green, black, brown and a smidgen of khaki
DSCN4722.jpg DSCN4723.jpg

Again without the help of 3 other members these would still be sitting in the GP yard!

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Here is the weird part I also have a USAF KLX110 that I did last year with bigger motor, but smaller bike.
DSCN4731.jpg DSCN4729.jpg DSCN4727.jpg DSCN4731.jpg

More of the desert dirt on #2 (H3) bike
DSCN4733.jpg

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
#2 bike H3 is now done, had a problem with the carb but got a rebuild kit and now seems to work just fine, used brown RO, light green KF, olive KF and black KF. The vinyl seat cover that

it came with got cleaned and dyed for the time being as the guy that does recovers for me is swamped and back logged.
DSCN4743.jpg DSCN4744.jpg DSCN4745.jpg DSCN4746.jpg DSCN4747.jpg DSCN4748.jpg

#3 bike H8 has parts on order and still trying to find a lower cost seat and will probably wait a while before starting it. I think I might repaint it back to it's last camo colors, under the crime it appears to be mainly khaki and grey with a little sand
CRF100parts.jpg

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Got the seat redone, the dyed vinyl was ok, but I think this is much better.
DSCN4749.jpgDSCN4750.jpgDSCN4751.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks