• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Solar for habitat on an FMTV

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
Time to bump a little...
I just picked up a small induction cooktop for the project.
Also a 15K Dometic rooftop AC unit which is going onto the cab for when driving.
Meanwhile my habitat layout is changing due to the planned addition of a pass-through from the cab.
Tesla batteries are still the plan for habitat power. With the 28vdc 3.5KW Mil diesel generator as backup and supplemental to PV panels. I investigated a 110/220AC generator powerhead but nixed that idea.

Right now new 14x20 tires and 3.07 gears occupy my wallet, so batteries and PV panels are on the back burner till summertime...

coachgeo

curious where people are on this now

like one area of confusion is Amp Hours..

batteries list their Amp hours... and if you connect bunch of 12v together.... you ADD their amp hours...

but if you connect them to increase voltage.... to say 24v or 48v.. the amp hours so NOT add up.

butt... higher voltage inverters... convert to 110v and 220v more efficiently. So the question is... do higher voltage banks; with appropriate inverter, draw less power from the battery bank thru the more efficient inversion process... thus.... even though amp hours do not add up.. does it work more efficiently so the amp hours you got mathematically... in real world effect get drawn from much less?, significantly less? or they drain about the same so your screwed cause amp hours did not add up compared to if you has stuck with a string 12v bats and their high amp hour addition ?

Last edited:

ramdough

One issue with Tesla batteries is that they do not offer the same number of cycles as a lifepo4 battery. They also can burn easier. They are more geared towards high storage and high loads in a small package . A lifepo4 battery is geared towards number of cycles.

Ultimately imho the lifepo4 battery is cheaper in the long run because it will last many times longer for the same capacity.

Just my .02

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
There's a reasonable sized group who have been running Tesla batteries for several years without any of those issues.
If they were that unreliable Tesla, and other similar vehicles, would be replacing batteries on a regular basis.
If the system is set up correctly it should last for years in an RV application.

But, to each their own.

Reworked LMTV

Lets move this thread please.

I have 7.2 kw in my back yard. All my system was designed and installed by me. I use Outback and Midnight Solar. End use habits largely determine design capacity and delivery.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks