• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-805B Generator - BLOWN ELECTRIC ACTUATOR ADC-101-24

TheYachtCaptain

Good day from Hoodsport, WA.,

On my first startup attempt, the engine ran for 2 seconds then shut down. There was fuel pouring from a wire connection on the Electric Actuator. I figure this is not normal ;-) and likely my problem. Notable: It looks like this part has been replaced before.

Here is my question for you fine folks. Did I do something to provoke this? Any other advice?

I will look for the part tonight.

Other interesting facts, there were many other wires, plugs, and relays disconnected. Perhaps I missed one, could this be the cause? I figured this was done at random during decommissioning. Thoughts?

IMG_4268.jpg

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You did not do anything to provoke this, sometimes things fail.

other advice, ground it, especially since its new to you. Adjust the magnetic pickup unit. New oil, oil filters, fuel, fuel filters, test the coolant, good batteries. These units dont like low voltage. You may need to get new 'washers' for the fuel lines that possible may need to be disconnected. I had to take what was left of mine to JD to get new ones.

Pertaining to not getting something hooked up, majority of the time, the wires will tell you where they need to be hooked up at. Attempt to verify by a schematic or tm. Here is the page with the Tech Manuals

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...ou-need-to-work-on-the-MEP-805B-Generator-set

If there were lots of components disconnected, I would make the guess that your unit was
a) being cannibalized for part
b) had a fault they could not figure out.

All of the above faults can be fixed, just might take some hair pulling.

Use the search tab in the top right, search 805B, and read thru some/alot of those post. If you are confused ask, when you get stumped ask, the manuals are good, but not perfect. Remember we dont see what you see, photos go along ways.

If I think of something else this evening, I will edit it in to this post.

Last edited:

TheYachtCaptain

So, here is the problem!

The epoxy has broken where it's thin. Over the two wires. The broken part of the epoxy was inside the body.

So, I've removed it and filling the area with new 5min West System 5min epoxy after cleaning with soap and hot water. Interesting that they maker of this part didn't take the time to produce a real gasket for the cover, they used a liquid gasket for the cover. The part, in general, is pretty crap if you ask me.

Question, Any of you know what the part number is for the civilian version of the starter fluid can :?:

Here is the image of the broken epoxy.

IMG_4270 2.jpg IMG_4270.jpg

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kat 33118 (orange can) believe that is NAPA

KBi Diesel Start, (yellow can) 20021

Guyfang

Staff member
So, here is the problem!

The epoxy has broken where it's thin. Over the two wires. The broken part of the epoxy was inside the body.

So, I've removed it and filling the area with new 5min West System 5min epoxy after cleaning with soap and hot water. Interesting that they maker of this part didn't take the time to produce a real gasket for the cover, they used a liquid gasket for the cover. The part, in general, is pretty crap if you ask me.

Question, Any of you know what the part number is for the civilian version of the starter fluid can :?:

Here is the image of the broken epoxy.

View attachment 738464 View attachment 738465

Dude, starter fluid is not needed in a properly maintained gen set. You want to shorten the life of your set, use starting fluid. You live in Florida, starting fluid should be banned there.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ok, epoxy had time to set up, what did it do after you got it all back together?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks