• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116A3 Building a mobil kitchen from a modular kitchen set, or reinvent the wheel

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Well I don't have this mounted on a trailer yet, but looking for a 20' two axle civi trailer to mount in on in the future for disaster response. I have had a MKT and a TFK but both really needed a large/mil (slow)truck to move them so have opted for lighter, lower one. I got a MFK set, (Modular Field Kitchen) that will be mounted to the trailer. It will have the MTV bows and long bed cover installed to cover it all and will be fabricated to rise up when in use. Thought I would share some of the up graded stuff that came in the 4 crates that made up the set.
This is GL's Picture mfks.jpg mfks2.jpg

The 2 largest items are the serving steam table which holds 4 full size pans frame is all aluminum and manual states 1 2A burner will work, set came with 6, and 3/8 aluminum griddle which has the same 2 part frame.
DSCN4306.jpg DSCN4304.jpg DSCN4299.jpg griddle with SS guards up DSCN4302.jpg DSCN4298.jpg

Came w/ two new style ovens (been around 18 years) they are meant to have 2 stands under them. They are double walled convection style so the heat from the burner flows around the outside of the oven walls, no flame inside like a M59 range. I am going to mount a thermometer through the door for temps. They are called an Oven, Baking, Deck.
DSCN4313.jpg mfkoven.jpg two vents on top for heat to leavem59.jpg
It came with 0ne T meal heater but I have a couple so will use them as the cleaning/wash sinks

DSCN4309.jpg DSCN4310.jpg
Came with 2 heavy duty SS topped prep tables, that have a SS shelf that spans across the lower leg braces, top also has built in for can opener mount.
MFKtable.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
As usual the NGO that wanted to fund the trailer, is in limbo as there are no emergency's in sight at this time. Their thinking seems to be, "wait to the last minute":twisted: I am thinking of a temp smaller version based on one of the former USMC M116A3 flatbeds I have.The griddle with just the burner rack could fit could fit across the back behind the wheel wells and two of the other burner racks mounted on the front for either square heads or pots with the cradles. They would still be at a workable height but an oven would really be too high and would have to go to ground. I think if the weather holds I will try and mock it up tomorrow.

M116A3HMMWV.jpg
Modified the oven with a temp gauge I found on lineDSCN4318.jpgDSCN4322.jpgthem.jpgafter several attempts there is no way to safely mount or use the oven mounted to the trailer deck it would be too high off the ground with the bottom shelf at head height of a tall person.

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It's tomorrow, I tried first putting the griddle across the front but seems to be made to on the rear, so think that is where it will stay. The lower base for it looks good on the fenders and holds 6 of the 5 gal Cambros like it was made to do that. The work table will fit crosswise either in front or behind the fenders. Nothing is bolted down and haven't made up my mind on how many burners to put on it yet, just the front 2 on the mock up, so far.
DSCN4325.jpgDSCN4326.jpgDSCN4328.jpgDSCN4327.jpg

Btw the big chain is just for tail weight, to make it easier to move trailer by hand when empty

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Just so you know I am not planning on using the gasoline burners even though this came with the latest (20yr) M2A W/Safety Device burner. I will use civi propane burners that I find on sale at the various outdoors stores. I have done that with my MKT and TFK, I might try MBU's if found cheap but not fond of the "jet engine" sound while cooking.

Still in the mock up stage and found that these burner racks are just a tad too big for the square head pan bottom, but work great if using the lid as a griddle. I think I may come up with a piece of sheet that fits the top of the frame and will also act to diffuse the heat. DSCN4332.jpg DSCN4704.jpgfound a long aluminum tread plate shelf that I cut in 1/2 that works perfectly to level the square heads. I can mount 3 water cans on each fender and the griddle/steam table base does holds 6 Cambro liquid dispensers . The work table also fits like I thought it would, plus it takes the Cambros out of the air stream and will have it mounted the other way with the smooth top facing forward .

DSCN4333.jpg
I used J bolts to hold the frames and table down to the trailer bed
jbolt.jpgthese showed upDSCN4344.jpg DSCN4341.jpg DSCN4343.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Well it sits up pretty high with the HMMWV wheels with Wranglers on them. I picked up some new 16.5's last year at Riley that I mounted on some M880 rims and think I will give them a try. It really lowered the deck height but need to clean and repaint them.

DSCN4584.jpg repainted and mounted DSCN4706.jpg

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have still not figured out where or how to carry and oven. My goal was to be able to set it up by one person and the oven really needs two. The easiest place to carry would be between the the 2 front burners lying on it's back, but maneuvering it over the draw bar is a real pain that I will just have to deal with.ovenspace.jpgEnded up using a civi trailer double 25lb propane carrier on the pass side fender DSCN4704.jpgand 3 Jerry can brackets on the other DSCN4705.jpg. Made a wooden griddle cover out of some left over 1/4-in ply I had lying around.DSCN4703.jpg

Last edited:

Zed254

I've never seen one of these in action, so please pardon my ignorance.

Stove Installation: Could you lay it on its back with 2 legs attached and hinged to trailer floor. Set up would require you to lift it up forward and pivot it toward the front of trailer where you would need to have a cross channel attached to lunette's A frame ready to accept each of the leading front legs. You could use pins to secure the front legs. This would put stove straddling the trailer's leading edge, mounted with most weight on the trailer's lunette frame. Extensions would need to be mounted on leading legs to make stove level, possibly require stiffening the stove support structure. Lunette would prevent center front access, but the A frame gets pretty narrow toward the front end. Also could set stove on side to access from left or right but need to consider heat from the other 2 front burners.

And this would make access to trailer floor while in operation something of a challenge......

A slide out platform might work, too. Like a computer printer shelf that slides out. This platform would slide forward and support stove.

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have thought about doing the same but with the oven height being right at 5' on ground that would put the top shelf at 7' when upright on mounted to the trailer deck. Next time I have a helper I will set it up that way to see if it is doable.

Just for scale I set the measuring tape to the oven height, having hot pans/ sheets that high above my head (8') is not going to work. Also with the pivot point when folded down as a unit the table and the rack with the Cambro container would have to go. So for now the oven will just have to ride in the towing vehicle.
DSCN4712.jpg

Last edited:

jasonjc

I have thought about doing the same but with the oven height being right at 5' on ground that would put the top shelf at 7' when upright on mounted to the trailer deck. Next time I have a helper I will set it up that way to see if it is doable.

All depends on the helper:p

Zed254

Yep, kind of tall. That would require a separate platform built over the lunette A frame to get you up to trailer height to be able to work with stove if mounted on trailer. And the stove would provide a lot of wind resistance when rolling down the road if mounted upright.

You need more floor. Could add a front 'wall' to provide wind protection to trailer contents (and would reduce your truck mileage). On arrival, drop the front 'wall' that is hinged to front of trailer down to be supported by lunette A frame and a leg on each corner. Kind of like those kitchen trailers set up. The hinged 'wall' that is now a floor would provide an elevated walkway to access stove in middle, and both outside burners. Would need to be an aluminum floor structure I suspect.

May just need to get a larger trailer or use transport vehicle as you've said.

Last edited:

BLK HMMWV

Ever thought of the British version of the field kitchen.
It's a pretty small package I think it's called a Mark 4.
I think DSD277 here on the board has one he might let go of.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Nope I had the Cadillac of field kitchens, the German/ SeaBee TFK250 tff250top.jpg and sold it. It's just that I have all this new stuff lying around since the NGO backed out on the deal thought I could make it use of it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks