• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins 8.3 M923 not building air

Thomas_G

Have a Cummins 8.3 in a 923 that won’t build air normally. Replaced air dryer with a new one. No moisture in system. Do the air compressors go out frequently on these? The engine appears to be a reconditioned one

builds air air slow and hard to reach 80 psi

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Different truck. That one was air dryer.

Take the discharge line off the back of the compressor and install an air hose and fitting with a gauge. And see what you have. If no pressure is there. You can try tapping on the unloader. Your gauge will wrap completely around. So it may not look like it has any pressure.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might want to put a tee and a $5 125-135ish psi pop off valve before that hose, you should be able to hear the pressure and volume before you have time to look at your guage, if you compressor is ok.

tobyS

Here is my standard advise. Follow the control line from the top of the air compressor head to the unloader control valve. Take both ends of that line lose and blow air through it. Then take the control off, clean and re-lube it with tacky grease (red) that is waterproof on all surfaces that can corrode and rust, especially around the spring.

Find a really small funnel or injector and put Marvel Mystery Oil or a good pneumatic oil into the head. There is a control piston that gets seized up with water and crud that holds the intake valve open and it won't let it close. Put the tube back on and work oil into that line at the top. 50/50% chance it works to free it up, so worth a try.

Re the control cleaning---keep track of the number of turns that the spring takes to take it out and put it at the same place when re-assembling. I first reset mine to about 125# and had the dryer relieving a lot so set it back to about 118.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought my unloader valve was bad. Turned out the compressor head gasket was brittle and had cracked in multiple places allowing the air to escape. The compressor is a pain to remove too...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks