• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1951 m37

Antarres Dawn

I have a 1951 M37. It has a New Master Cylinder and new wheel cylinders. The back brakes bleed and work. The front brakes do not. I have replaced all the flexible lines on the front braking system. When I bleed the brakes nothing comes our of the front wheel cylinders. I have literally taken out the bleeder screw and nothing comes out. Dry. The pedal will barely depress. Is there a proportioning valve I am missing? Also when driven the pedal has to be pumped to brake.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. There is no proportioning valve. Your steel lines are plugged with goop. Plan on replacing them.

ez8

While you're replacing the fronts you might as well do the back lines as well. Don't worry, this is a simple job. It took me an afternoon of crawling around on my back. I'm 6'0" and I can sit under the bed of the truck without putting it on jacks which helps when you're working back there.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure you can buy actual lines that are "fits". They aren't hard to make yourself, but you need the proper flaring tool for the reverse flare. Not sure what they call it. Parts places have an assortment of brake tube lengths. They come with fittings on both ends, but I usually end up cutting one end off, and fit them from there. Get the proper bender for the tube size you are using, & some extra tube for practice. The old lines will be your basic patterns. Not sure how clean your frame rails are, but it will be a good time to pressure wash them before hand.

You will like the M37 - everybody does. Had mine since the early '70s (a 1951 too). Its great to be able to sit up under parts of it (as mentioned) - especially when your a little older then it is.

ez8

You can get pre-bent lines with the correct coiled guards around the lines from Midwest Military. That's where I got mine from. I think it was something like $200 for the set, but worth it to keep the frustration down.

If you end up doing it yourself I'd recommend getting lengths of pre-flared line from Autozone or whatever your local place is. They should have some stuff called "Poly Armour" you can use. I'd also recommend getting a cheap pipe bender from Harbor Freight if you have one in your area. Very helpful for making the bends. Flaring it yourself can be done, but it can be a drag to try and get the flare correct if you don't have the knack for it yet.

That being said, go buy the prebent lines and save yourself the hassle of having to bend everything. In the long run you'll thank your past self for keeping the frustration down.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks