• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M809 series PTO winch driveshaft question

cwedge411

I got a winch driveshaft from Eastern surplus (thanks guys)

When I look at the ends it looks like there's a set screw and opposite that there's like a slot for a "key"? Is there like a shear pin or something that goes in? The input on the winch is round with a hole as is the out put on the transfer case.

Am I missing something?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a winch driveshaft from Eastern surplus (thanks guys)

When I look at the ends it looks like there's a set screw and opposite that there's like a slot for a "key"? Is there like a shear pin or something that goes in? The input on the winch is round with a hole as is the out put on the transfer case.

Am I missing something?
The one with the set screw and key way is the rear yoke. It takes a woodruff key which goes into the output shaft of the (transmission) winch PTO.
The front yoke which slips over the winch input shaft should have two 0.37" holes at 180°, for the shear pin - plus one threaded hole, for a grease zerk. There should be no key way in that one!

TM 9-2320-260-34P-2 Fig. 378 shows the complete assembly, although the front yoke is not correct in that drawing...
I fixed it, here:
Front winch propeller shaft assy.jpg

Last edited:

cwedge411

thanks thats exactly the info i needed.

The one with the set screw and key way is the rear yoke. It takes a woodruff key which goes into the output shaft of the (transmission) winch PTO.
The front yoke which slips over the winch input shaft should have two 0.37" holes at 180°, for the shear pin - plus one threaded hole, for a grease zerk. There should be no key way in that one!

TM 9-2320-260-34P-2 Fig. 378 shows the complete assembly, although the front yoke is not correct in that drawing...
I fixed it, here:
View attachment 738556

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I remember the number #11 slip collar does not go tight up to the rear yoke. That collar when locked on the shaft allows the slip joint to move in just a bit. What it does is if the shear pin breaks the collar stops the PTO shaft from moving backwards from the winch input shaft and spinning causing damage. It's been a long time so I forget how long the winch input shaft is but if one was to measure the winch input or maybe put the PTO shaft on and see how far it could move back without falling off the winch input then set the collar. Also use never seize on the set screw incase you bust a shear pin and you have to loosen the collar to move the shaft backwards to replace. Plus carry the Allen head wrench, new sear pin and correct punch with your tools.
Just thinking about it I would think 1/2 movement would take care of frame flex trying to push it into the rear yoke? If there was not enough it might could push up the PTO shaft and bust the sear pin.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Anybody happen to have a extra not pretty one of these laying around, think of me your lovable KGR

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks