• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV Fording

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think this has been discussed. We all know FMTVs apparently can run and drive with water to the top of the cab, from that infamous National Guard utube video. The TM says 5 feet WITH exhaust pipe extension. Who has ever seen one of those? How deep WITHOUT extension? Any opinions? I have been tasked with writing a SOP for using LMTVs for deep water rescue work.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the TM says 5 ft with exhaust extension I'd be inclined to say no higher than the bottom of the battery box without it. We both know they're a weak spot and if the driver hadn't prepared the truck then he/she shouldn't be fording too deep anyway.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have never seen an exhaust extension. And the deepest I have gone thru is about 2 feet of flooded road. But I don’t think the dash and trans control is sealed well enough to be submerged. Especially wtec2. If you had to do it in an emergency it might get you thru but damage will be done. Where the black plastic intake piece meets the neck on top of the air box, held on by a hose clamp, is not always the most water tight connection. I would seal it better if you are planning on going into deep water.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've also seen a few things that talked about a "fording kit", and that without such a kit it was limited to 30" (if I remember correctly). However, I've never seen the "fording kit", never seen it listed with a part number anywhere, never seen instructions for it, etc. I'm curious if it really even exists.

A lot of the stuff in the truck will run with water in it. To talk about it in a non-technical way, 12V doesn't have enough oomph to push through the resistance of water. Fire departments will often find cars at the bottom of bodies of water with the lights and other accessories still on, no problems. That brings up an important distinction... What depth of water can the truck continue operating in, even if it causes long-term permanent damage to the truck, versus what depth of water can the truck operate in with no long-term effects? You see that National Guard video, and you know the truck can do it (with poor maintenance and little preparation, probably including lacking the fording kit), but you know it destroyed that truck permanently.

I've also seen the number 50" published in a few places. I've always assumed that 50" is basically the bottom of the cab and cargo bed, so it has more to do with instability caused by water getting that high, or water flooding your cargo in the bed, than whether the engine can continue running.

Last edited:

Ronmar

Reading the operators manual it says 30”... have not seen any mention of a fording kit, but just went past the section that lists kits and options for the various models, I will look back at it this evening...

snowtrac nome

I can safely say I have been in over the top of my tires. and with current it was a lit of work for the truck to push up stream. with out a modification to the draft tube I would not dip it much past that.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
36" without the kit. 60" with the kit (probably a snorkel for the driver and co driver) Anything over 30 inches the fan clutch should be turned off and the bellhousing plug installed that is common in a few TM's for that for the LMTV/FMTV trucks thru the A2 version.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks