• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I want a yeller CAT

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really liked the 3116 in the 'A3 I used to own. It doesn't fit into the M1009, of course, but, not one to be confused with facts, I want one anyway. A professional trucker tells me this CAT variant is considered disposable since you can only get about half a million miles on it then cannot have it rebuilt. Lets see...I put about 500 miles per year on the Blazer...I should be OK. It weighs twice what the 6.2 does. OK. Guys with boats tell me they like the marine version, and farmers tell me they like it to drive irrigation pumps. Then there is the internet = haters on ANY topic. Right now its just a "thought experiment" which does not cost anything, other than the beer that provoked the thought in the first place :)
yeller cat.jpg

tobyS

Yea, I think it's a great engine and justifies the cost of an A3. Mine is in process of becoming a 4x4.

What tranny? In the A3 it is a slow vehicle and has the infamous Locking TC Allison 1545.

Keeping with the auto theme, forget the locking TC and go straight 545, making sure the Allison has the PTO drive gear. Then you can use a tranny PTO, rather than have the hydraulic pump on the back of the compressor....(WTF)?

Attachments

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Automatic, yes. I could only get maybe 45 mph out of the A3, I did not know the Allison was the limiting component. I blamed that on the 6.72 gearing. I'll do some research on the 545, thank you.

tobyS

The Alison 1545 has no OD in that series but it is an SAE bellhousing, could even have the double OD Allison attached. That would take a bit more length.

Oh YES it is the axle gearing, The 545 or 1545 has straight 1/1. The 545 would give a reliable "around town" truck or good mudder, without the problems of having a rare locking torque converter.

Last edited:

sandcobra164

I have no choice but to learn them and Love them as they are in almost all current medium and heavy fleet trucks. C7 in MTV's, C12's in MTVR's, C15 in LVSR and current HEMMT's, C18 in HET's. I don't know the history you gentlemen have had with the older models but the newer ones seem to hold together just fine regardless of the task. I do wish they didn't have HEUI Injection so they could fire off on the second rotation of the starter like the previous models with the LDT-465 or in the CUCV's case, 6.2. I have one as well, it almost starts quicker than my deuce did.

tobyS

What is the disadvantage of the locking TC in the 1545?
They made 5,600 of the A3's (a small production number) and it was the only model (of the 545) that used the locking feature (1545), making it a rare bird. I believe a committee was responsible for that decision, instead of going to a larger or OD tranny. Alison stopped supporting the 1545 a long time ago and the people that make parts for the torque converter, even repair parts , are no longer available. The input shafts on the locking TC are one of a kind and when worn, won't hold pressure and result in failure, slipping in the TC or the clutch packs, usually the 4th and reverse.

Another issue is the 4th-reverse clutch pack has a seal problem on the pressure piston. They are known to fail early and motor oil complicates a situation. If the tranny has original seals, it is of the age that you can expect failure. The new seals do not have the same problem, making a preliminary rebuild a very good thing.

On the bright side the 545 is extremely sell supported and all the clutches and gears and bearings fit the 1545. The valve body is different, the TC is different and the hydraulic pump is different. You buy the seal kit for the 545 and there are 2-3 additional seals for the locking TC.

Also...found what I believe is the only place that will rebuild the locking TC, making new parts where the old are not available and they can put multiple clutches in the TC like pull tractors use. TC is not a problem then, making the pump one of the most critical parts that I have no replacement for.

Also, one can use the 545 if the stars do not align for you... and get rid of the locking TC feature.

Again, this must have been a committee decision....who puts a locking TC on a relatively low speed vehicle and no OD for higher speed. Oh well.

There are many threads to research, but that is what comes to mind. Oh yea, the 1545 has the ring gear for a tranny mounted PTO and uses the same 6 bolt as the 5 tons, it just turns a little slower. Unlike a 5 ton, it has to be direct mount since there is no room for a driveshaft and remote mount pump due to transfer case placement in a deuce.

Guys with a Cat 3116 in an LMTV may have some additional info for alternative tranny's but most LMTV use electronic tranny's, I think. If it looks like the GM 400....it's very close and some parts may even interchange.

Attachments

Last edited:

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
looks like I got a CAT..

Um, well, by the pound its a good deal...yeah, that'L2.jpgL1.jpgs it. Guess I'll go hang out at the FMTV threads.

tobyS

There was an A3 that sold in North Carolina at GSA that had one of the last serial numbers and was a "98"....was up on all tires too. It would have the yellow, not green Cat. Sold under $4k....man I wish I had had some money.

snowtrac nome

there is nothing wrong with the 3116. Hard core cat guys don't like it. because its not a sleeved engine, but neither was the 3208, also once a sleeved engine look how many are still running today. The mimesis of the 3116 is air in the fuel and a more complex tune up procedure. it was intended to compete with the b series cummins but it never got as popular. The light duty engine used in the duce has lighter rods and smaller crank journals. 200 horses max on that motor, the lmtv engines can take up to 300 horse and not have any issues. they have kind of wimpy valve springs so your not going to play with the governor and get one to scream at 3500 like a hotrod cummins but kept under 2500 they will last a long time with very little maintenance. as for the Allison 540 series transmissions the cummins or 170 hp 3116 is going to max it out at its torque limits I would look into a 2000 or 1000 with a stand alone controller.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks