• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002 Muffler

Carl_in_NH

Yes - but be forewarned that a significant amount of the noise made by the genset isn't from the exhaust, but from all the other engine components thrashing about. A muffler might not make all that significant a dent in the noise from your set.

Jimbow

Yea I thought that might be the case. 2 stroke diesel, air cooled. No water jacket to attenuate noise. It;s currently under a roof and I had planned on adding sides. We live in the country so noise bothering the neighbors isn't a problem. More of q curiosity question. I'll just add some pipe and turn the end down to keep the rain out. Maybe a screen to keep the wasps out.

Dock Rocker

You would do better if you put up sides on 3 sides of your shelter and sent the sound it the other direction.

You would be surprised and how much difference it makes just meaning a 4x8 sheet of plywood on the side facing your house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbow

Excellent idea. The gen set sits next to the barn. If I close in the front (toward the house) and other side (also toward the house) it will send the sound out the back, towards the woods. I don't care if the deer and raccoons are disturbed. Thanks for the direction suggestion.

jbayer

Yea I thought that might be the case. 2 stroke diesel, air cooled. No water jacket to attenuate noise. It;s currently under a roof and I had planned on adding sides. We live in the country so noise bothering the neighbors isn't a problem. More of q curiosity question. I'll just add some pipe and turn the end down to keep the rain out. Maybe a screen to keep the wasps out.
Just FYI, four stroke, not two stroke.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats why they came out with the ASK upgrades... which did help attenuate the noise. But it made it a real bear for maintenance IMO. In comes the TQG generation...

Directing the sound one way will definitely tame the beast to your ears though, as others have stated.

justacitizen

I have an Onan DJB that is essentially the same engine and it has a muffler and makes more noise than the 002A. since my generators stay in a container until needed i made a shelter out of three pieces of OSB some 2x4 and four steel fence posts. i can set the gen and assemble the shelter in about fifteen min and it sure makes the sound much more tolerable and protects the gen from weather until the crisis is over. then it all goes back into the container.

Chainbreaker

...I'll just add some pipe and turn the end down to keep the rain out. Maybe a screen to keep the wasps out.
Just keep in mind that if you end up using iron pipe and extend it every far horizontally you will need to support the pipe. Vibrations will be transmitted to any exhaust pipe extension which can become accentuated and lead to cracking of muffler or exhaust manifold if run too long a distance unsupported. Exhaust flex pipe is generally lighter and works best.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's better if you use flex pipe to connect to larger diameter pipe. The larger diameter pipe will reduce restriction on the exhaust.

kavesman1

If you want to quite the gen set down, look into mass loaded vinyl sheets. They have, I think, a layer of sand in the middle of the vinyl to dampen the sound when it hits it. And the pieces can be bonded together with PVC/vinyl cement glue to fit different shapes.

You have to make sure that it's not directly coupled/attached to the source of the sound/vibration to get it to properly dampen the sound. There's different brands out there, so just Google "MLV sheets".

I've seen some videos of one brand that could deadened a 122db guitar amp/speaker combo to outdoor ambient level at just 5ft from the guy playing it.

I'm going to experiment with some possibly this time home for my 803a.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks