• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just Bought an M35A2

71DeuceAK

Welcome! I almost bought one of these as my first car, as an 18 year old college student. Great old trucks. Cantankerous as they are, taken care of they will outlive you.

rustystud

While prepping my truck for paint, I noticed a large white star on the roof of the cab, not the top of the hood (where I usually see them). I've never seen one with a star on the roof, does anyone know anything about this?
It depends on the unit the truck came from, but in the Marines a star on the roof meant the truck belonged to headquarters. I don't know anything about the Armies markings though.

ShakeNBake

It depends on the unit the truck came from, but in the Marines a star on the roof meant the truck belonged to headquarters. I don't know anything about the Armies markings though.
That's interesting, it did have the 4 color Marine camo on it last. I'm not sure at this point about it, seems like none of the markings make sense. I met with the guy that picked it up from auction and he did not paint it with the 4 color and said it was already on, but he did not know much else about it either.

Another interesting thing I found on it while painting was the residue from vinyl stickers on the bottom left corner of the drivers window. They were about 1.5-2" tall and spelled "SPC OSTE" I'm not sure if there is a letter at the end that is missing.

2018-10-04_9-23-07.jpg2018-10-04_9-23-32.jpg

Attachments

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
-that truck was assigned to SPC Oste. I have a A3 with both driver and co-driver's names and rank on the windshield.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's interesting, it did have the 4 color Marine camo on it last. I'm not sure at this point about it, seems like none of the markings make sense. I met with the guy that picked it up from auction and he did not paint it with the 4 color and said it was already on, but he did not know much else about it either.

Another interesting thing I found on it while painting was the residue from vinyl stickers on the bottom left corner of the drivers window. They were about 1.5-2" tall and spelled "SPC OSTE" I'm not sure if there is a letter at the end that is missing.

View attachment 743794View attachment 743795
After the auction was the truck picked up at a Military Base? If so, what was the name and service branch of the base. That will help you find out more about your trucks history. My 1972 M35A2C was from Fort Irwin Army Base Barstow, and my M105A2 trailer was from Marine Corps Logistic Base Barstow, CA. My 2cents

fasttruck

Reference post 5: 43 zerks on a WOW truck? When the trunions and the third drive shaft left you lost 5 but if the new springs have 3ea you picked up 6 for a net gain of one. I have greased more than one of these things through my military service and count 36 fittings for a WOW truck and 3 more for one with a winch. Is this a dump truck ?

fasttruck

Reference post 27: make that 38 fittings. I forgot the two on the clutch crossover shaft through the bell housing. On a 809 series truck this point is usually serviced by a grease cup rather than a zerk.

ShakeNBake

I just got the tires and wheels mounted (took way longer than I thought to follow through with everything)

I still need to:
- Get the bed sand blasted and painted.
- scrape the flaking paint and re paint the interior
- service the brakes / axles
+Install new master cylinder
+Install new brake lines and hoses
+Inspect / install pads
+Install axle seal / rebuild kits
- Install LED headlights and taillights
- Install the lower fixed style drivers seat (so my fat ass can steer)
- Install CB and Intercom
- change fluids and filters
- Find decent / affordable Insurance
- Drive it down to the DMV to get plates
- Enjoy

20200126_124929~2.jpg

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, there's a thread on this. But I have State Farm on mine, it's listed with them as a collector vehicle, and as long as I drive it less than 6k miles a year it's like $40/mo (bundled with my other cars). That's just for liability. At a certain point, I want to insure it against theft, not sure how that's gonna go...

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got the tires and wheels mounted (took way longer than I thought to follow through with everything)

I still need to:
- Get the bed sand blasted and painted.
- scrape the flaking paint and re paint the interior
- service the brakes / axles
+Install new master cylinder
+Install new brake lines and hoses
+Inspect / install pads
+Install axle seal / rebuild kits
- Install LED headlights and taillights
- Install the lower fixed style drivers seat (so my fat ass can steer)
- Install CB and Intercom
- change fluids and filters
- Drive it down to the DMV to get plates
- Enjoy

View attachment 788945
Shake, when you do your filter change, I recommend converting to spin on oil and fuel filters. These will make your filter changes easier, quicker, and less of a mess, especially the oil filters. Also if you have a rusty battery box I recommend a nylon (plastic) battery box. The later model trucks use them, I just changed mine out it's an easy job.

davidb56

So, there's a thread on this. But I have State Farm on mine, it's listed with them as a collector vehicle, and as long as I drive it less than 6k miles a year it's like $40/mo (bundled with my other cars). That's just for liability. At a certain point, I want to insure it against theft, not sure how that's gonna go...
You dont need theft ins. Where ever you park, turn the front tires hard to the curb before shutting it down, then when they try to turn the armstrong steering wheel, they will think something is wrong and just leave it.

Ajax MD

I just remembered you are right near the border of Canada. A hidden electrical cutout switch may be more cost effective, and would actually save your vehicle from being stolen.
I think that's a good deterrent no matter what part of the U.S. you're in. Only a very deterimed thief with time to go digging, who also has some familiarity with FMV's would figure it out.

davidb56

I wonder how many Deuce and 5 tons have been stolen?. I bet even Hummers are not a "item" like a Honda car or BMW. No market for a big military chunk of iron, and too few to hide them in plain site. My biggest concern would be fuel or battery theft....lock those up and you'll be fine. wait. theres a drain plug on my tank.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At least in Texas, and probably in certain other states as well, the owner of a vehicle "not secured" (i.e.: leaving the keys in a typical vehicle) can be both charged with a crime essentially enabling the theft, AND be held liable in civil and criminal consequences of the result of the stolen vehicle's "use". I have not heard of any MV being unsecured and stolen resulting in such penalties, accidents nor even deaths, but rest assured.... If it ever happens the attorneys will be looking at ANY AND ALL pockets with money in them to bring to court and sue.

As a minimum, as the military does, secure a chain through the steering wheel and around a solid anchor point (seat frame on a deuce). This will at least deter the casual joy-rider, or goofball veteran looking to relive their old days in 'Nam or something. In court, ANY effort at security will go a long way in the owner's defense against culpability.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks