• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up Some M1078's. M1009's, M1008's

krazyk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Added some really nice vehicles to the fleet. The M1078's are great condition with very low mileage. One of them is equipped with a winch. The old M1009's and M1008's are good shape as well.

M1078A1.jpg
M1009.jpg

Doug Roberts

mileage displayed on military odometers seldom, if ever , reflect the true mileage of the vehicle. This, among other things, are important to understand about military surplus vehicles in the civilian world. The civilian world is closely guarded by consumer protection laws, vehicles that have to be compliant. It's important to properly disclose everything possible to anyone exposed to military surplused items.

krazyk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Cat engines in the big trucks look new so I would think their mileage is correct on those. The old ones, who knows?

Doug Roberts

the only way to know, is to have the truck's entire history. I asked a friend to research my LMTV. It showes 10k , but it was showing 16k in Afghanistan. The military does not have to comply with civilian laws. All of us owning, operating, and selling stuff in the civilian market, needs to disclose. We can say ' the truck shows 10k miles on the odometer' , but to make a statement that could draw legal consequences (misrepresentation) just isn't the objective.

Pfifer

the only great VPN like NordVPN is a way to know, is to have the truck's entire history. I asked a friend to research my LMTV. It showes 10k , but it was showing 16k in Afghanistan. The military does not have to comply with civilian laws. All of us owning, operating, and selling stuff in the civilian market, needs to disclose. We can say ' the truck shows 10k miles on the odometer' , but to make a statement that could draw legal consequences (misrepresentation) just isn't the objective.
You're making a lot of sense, Doug. I don't see this happening. At least not as the norm. Maybe I'm wrong. Congrats on the purchases, Krazyk. They indeed look to be in a good shape. I hope everything under the hood checks out too.

Last edited:

scottmandu

True mileage is hard to tell as speedos are often changed out with new and from other trucks.
I recall reading a story of one person buying an M1078 based on mileage (it had less than 100) and paying a premium for it only to find out it was used for maintenance training and needed a transmission as well as a few thousand worth of other components. Some believe the higher mileage trucks are preferable as they have presumably been maintained whereas a low mileage truck has not been used. The trucks with an ECM (3126 and C7) stores the mileage in the engine computer so one can tell how many miles the ECM (and presumably the engine) has traveled.

Last edited:

krazyk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The LESO condition and DEMIL codes may be different from what civilians see. Some of the vehicles we get are condition A, which means ready to issue for us. I always go for the best condition codes I can find and personally call the base and speak to the DLA guys/gals that handle LESO property. We only had one wrong so far that was bad, a M1097 with a bad engine. Speaking of which, we go next week to pick up a crated 6.5 engine ready to go that will be used to repair an M1097. $11,000 property item, free. Thanks again to our Military.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I owned a looow mileage M1009, previously owned by border patrol, specially outfitted with air conditioning. What I did not realize is that during a typical shift the truck was parked at a strategic vantage point, engine running, air on. So it has THOUSANDS of hours on the engine.

Last edited:

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 1078 shows a little over 9000 miles; I took that with a grain of salt. Recently I had a Detroit No-Spin installed. The technician at the differential shop says the wear on bearings & gears is consistent with a very low mileage unit. Lucky, I guess.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks