• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

usage of combination budd impact socket

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a combination hex/square hole socket and they claim you only need this one socket instead of two, however if I want to remove just the hex nut on the rear without engaging the thimble this socket will only cover about 3/16" depth of the hex nut. I'm worried about rounding off my lug nuts. Is this intended to remove the lug nut and thimble together at the same time? I'm thinking that this would work well for the front lug nuts and the rear thimbles, but I might need a separate standard hex socket for the rear lug nuts.

Does anyone else have experience with this type of tool?

BUDD SOCKET.jpg

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one of those I used to pull my rear duals when rebuilding the wheel cylinder. It seemed to hold up fine with no issues/damage for me. And that's with my 340 pound butt cranking on a 4-5 foot cheater pipe while doing it.

The first go round you pull the hex nuts off, allowing the outer dual to come off. Next, the socket goes down so that it engages the square drive and you remove the inner nuts to allow the inner dual to come off.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Works fine. You can get a standard square drive but make sure to not get a cheap one. Only a good heavy truck one, not a napa or other cheap truck store one. They usually tend to come down to the square from the rear drive size so they are prone to crack easier on the cone end if you go to having to use an impact for a long period of time.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That is ALL I use, never a problem , been used on a lot of tire removels/installs

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Some sockets are longer than others. As stated, if the socket doesn't engage the thimble enough, it will cause trouble.

I had one that needed ground down to work on the square.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll be the dissenter - I had several of these combo sockets that I had the same issue with. Either the hex depth wasn't long enough or some of the thimbles I have are too long, because the thimble square would contact the socket before the hex engaged correctly.

I switched to two separate sockets and haven't looked back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks