• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1st post, need info on wire chart for CDN M207 M211 GMC ?

M207carcass

Hey folks, this is my first post here, though I have been gleaning much from what I've read thus far. That being said, I am blissfully ignorant of most of the issues with these vehicles. I wanted to know if there was a chart showing wire gauges and colors (and perhaps even lengths) for the M211s. What I have is a 1954 Canadian M207 that could use a proper identification and a good deal of restoration. I've seen it referred to as a shop van and possibly other specialty, it is not a straight up 211 as I understand it.

I'd like to start with knowing how much of each kind of wire I will need to repair this thing, though I haven't had a good look at the schematic, and it does seem to have gauges on it (however, I don't recognize a number of them). However, I have no idea about the length of wire; is that just measured out by hand? I didn't see it in the service manuals or on the schematic (nicely done, by the way), but I may be looking in the wrong place.

I know I may be requesting the magical and possibly unobtainable silver bullet answer to begin wiring this thing up, so please, cue the laughter and knee-slapping if that's indeed what I am asking.

Cheers,
Kevin

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Last edited:

M207carcass

Very nice - thanks for the links, I think that clears up some of it. We also are trying to find out what it was originally spec'd as. Will the serial number give an indication of that? I'll add that as well.

plate.jpg

m135 in field.JPG

DUUANE

Welome to the gmc 135/211 family! I'm just digging into my 135 and will help with what i think i can..or can figure out.
Keep the pictures and questions coming there's lots of experienced folks here.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Welcome from Missouri! Good Luck with your project. It is also good to see that other Canadian MV's are being brought up to Ready Operation.

Good Luck!

M207carcass

Thanks a bunch, guys. I was wondering if there was some sort of database for a VIN/SERIAL decoding or to find out original specs? I have an ex-MOD Defender 90 that, between the chassis number and a quick note to the MOD, gives me paint codes and original equipment as issued. Anything like that on an M207?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M207 uses

We're still wrestling with all the uses for the M207

20150620_213131.jpg

Welcome to the adventure! Good to see another 207 out there. I just slept with mine last night. There are a lot of parts in your backyard so write up that needs list and we'll get you contacts.

We know the 207 was a shop van which could have been dental, medical, communication or mechanic shop. It was also a pole/ auger/ line truck with an auger mounted on it and could have carried Lacrosse or some other form of pointy thing that shoots fire out the back. There is a bit of info about mine on page 54 and 55 over here https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?52255-G749-preservation/page54 Finding a blue-print with all the wire lengths for the wiring harness would be nice. NOS parts leak out of the barns all the time and shopping for "G749 wiring harness" gets the goods.

Whatcha gonna do with that thang?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M207 Dental

I did a little more digging into wire lengths and we do have them. The challenge will be going through the pages and determining which wire goes with which number. The harness is all the same color, black,....and each end is tagged. I see now that they wrote all the lengths down in the ORD 9 SNL G749 parts manual. It'd take a bunch of Crown Royal and some down time to record it all but it's possible. Custom, color and new wiring sounds easier.

P8241015.jpgP8241016.jpg

We can thank Dennis for the Dental photos which came from the Museum in Borden.

207dentis.JPG207denti.JPG207dent.JPG207dennist.JPG

DUUANE

About 120' of 14ga..thats great info..i passed on a mil spec electrical kit on e-pay a little while back it was 500 pieces or so ..all the connectors and rubber bits..kicking myself now. I usually make scratch harnesses as my stuff is modified but beware of the 'farm store supply" outlet wire. The quality has dropped. I solder,used die electric grease and heat shrink and ive had to chase oxidation back up inside the insulation 2 or 3 feet after only a couple of years of service.
I'll be looking for a higher quality supplier of bulk wire and i am going to use the rubberized dip coating inside the heat shrink vs dielectric.
It will dramaticly increase the amount of time to make a harness but should be better at excluding moisture and oxygen with the heat shrink there to provide some extra mechanical stability to the connections.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that 120 feet for the whole truck or one specific harness?
I have little to no idea. Looks like they gave a total wire length for different items and I don't see a good breakdown. The Crown is only half empty so I better put pictures up and type less.

The schematic might help.

P8251059.jpg

P8251043.jpg

Attachments

rustystud

About 120' of 14ga..thats great info..i passed on a mil spec electrical kit on e-pay a little while back it was 500 pieces or so ..all the connectors and rubber bits..kicking myself now. I usually make scratch harnesses as my stuff is modified but beware of the 'farm store supply" outlet wire. The quality has dropped. I solder,used die electric grease and heat shrink and ive had to chase oxidation back up inside the insulation 2 or 3 feet after only a couple of years of service.
I'll be looking for a higher quality supplier of bulk wire and i am going to use the rubberized dip coating inside the heat shrink vs dielectric.
It will dramaticly increase the amount of time to make a harness but should be better at excluding moisture and oxygen with the heat shrink there to provide some extra mechanical stability to the connections.
"Eriks" sells the "official" military rubberized 14 gauge wire. I've bought and used over 700 ft from them so far. Good stuff. I also use "No-Oz-Id" grease on all my connections. It has worked pretty good so far.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks