• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1088A1 Will Not Crank, need info. new member

soldieringray512

Hello, I have recently purchased a 2001 Stewart & Stevenson M1088A1

Having issues getting it to start. Seems like the ecu is not allowing it to get fuel.

I have installed (4) New Batteries
Checked the Fuses and Circuit Breakers
Repaired a fuel leak at the fuel filter (simple o-ring replacement)

Truck spins over but will not fire on it's own. Will try to run off of ether. Check engine light will not come on when ignition switch is in "On" position. Before we bought the truck it was listed as "Will run after jump start, will not crank back after shut off." Yet we can not even get it to start initially. Did not know if anyone on here has had experience with the electrical systems on these trucks or knew of a wiring diagram / schematic on how this thing operates. Seems to me that this is probably a simple issue that we are just not aware of yet since we are new to these trucks. We bought 4 trucks to push snow this upcoming season. The other trucks run but i have not picked them up from seller yet. Any help or info is greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,

Dustin w/ J.A. Barker Construction, Inc.
Office: 434-447-7331
Fax: 434-447-5892
E-Mail: dtanner@barkerconst.com or soldieringray512@gmail.com

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you bleed the air out of the fuel system? C7 engine? On the earlier engines you could put a meter on the fuel solenoid and verify fuel is being enabled. Maybe you are lucky and the failure to start is just plugged filters or air ingress causing fuel starvation. Keep your fingers crossed it's not electrical in nature. Just ask Dan in his 'Just won an M1083A1' saga crossing the country.

Does the Power Distribution Panel have the four modules, or is it the circuit board type?
Won an M1083A1 - 1900 mile recovery trip soon!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it's a simple issue. Non-replaceable hold up battery in the ECU has run out of juice. Cat can verify.

soldieringray512

Thank you both for the replies:

tennmonger: we have a few of our mechanics tinkering with it and i believe they have bleed the system of air, it has the 3116 in it with the circuit board behind the passenger side dash. I will forward this to my guys tomorrow when they get back in the office for us to see what they think.

NDT: we have a local cat dealer; Carter Machinery in La Crosse, VA and work with them a lot on things. We may check with them and see what they think on what you have suggested. We are also talking to the mechanic who works for GovPlanet since he was the guy who checked it out and had it running. He is across the country right now giving us tips via call and text but will be back in my area in the next two weeks to check out some more GovPlanet trucks and said he could swing by if we can not solve it before then.

Thanks again for your comments and suggestions, we are new to the military 6x6s... Really excited to get these rascals outfitted with our Henderson spreaders and plows up front for this upcoming snow season.

- Dustin

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
There is a "no start" button in the fuse panel, not sure if that will allow it to crank if it is tripped.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It does seem odd the engine in an A1 could be the 3116.

The electrical schematics for the circuit board version of the PDP is in the Tech Manuals section, Present conflict vehicle section, about 20th line down, titled FMTVA1CIRCUITS, or similar title.

If the No Start button on the PDP had been pushed, it would be negated by the next activation of the green power switch on the dash.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
That truck will have a 3126 with the pcb power panel. You can plug in and run diagnostics with a standard hd code reader. With the dash power switch on see if there is power to the engine computer. Sometimes there is a noise filter box in the engine bay you can measure power in and out of the box. It’s near the engine computer. If you have power to the engine computer you should be able to communicate with it.

soldieringray512

Thanks for the input everyone,

I have printed out this thread for my guys to read. Do you know where i can find the technical manual for this truck? It does have the 3126, we can not find the engine computer, where would that be located on the truck? We also did not see a No Start Button in the fuse panel. Thanks again for all the input!

felixcatski

We swapped out ecm and got one started with the good ecm so that seems to be the issue. Checking on used/rebuilt ecm to avoid going new. Has anyone heard of repairing/reprogramming these ecm’s?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks