• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M88's headed Home for Rebuild

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Still hard to believe/accept. . . :-(

Anyone know how Davids wife and sons/daughters are doing?
I talk with his oldest son everyday. I make it a point. The family is fine. The Army took care of his widow. They miss their Dad and I know that this morning was hard on them like his birthday and Father's day. Thank you for asking.

When I looked and saw this post and who was the originator I felt kinds strange. Last Christmas we pm'd each other about our families and how much he was looking forward to be coming home in less than 30 days.

Merry Christmas guys. Life is short so treat your family like it is your last christmas on earth. It well could be.. Dudley

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
all in all, It would still be nice to have an 88, That's how I got my M-62, explained to the wife what towing the M-54 would cost. Though I'd settle for the old Sherman variant retriever sitting sinking into the ground at Winer Motors in Akron, Ohio. Me and a couple dozen others havn't been able to get them to turn loose of it as a sale item, or for static display in a museum.

kcimb

I saw who the OP was and it brought back a painful memory. Still miss David...

Very good pictures, as we'd come to expect from him.

feldmarshal

88's #1

I was crew chief on a 88 3 years , it;s the caddy of armor. lottery money would buy one for me. when you look back you say, man I wish I was still there playing on the 88. It was sweet. Would deff. own one.

4trans

They were used to recover vehicles in the back woods of APG to recover what ever some army vehicle operator get stuck during testing.
and ive heard power washing vehicles coming home in the summer is one of the most dreaded jobs

I saw a vehicle of this type (or very similar ) this week when I went to Ft. Polk to pick up some wheels and tires for Maddawg308. Also passed by a marshalling area where a unit was apparently getting ready for an exercise. Saw M1's, M109's, MRAP's, Bradley's, Humvees, FMTV's, and even M113's (most of these were setup as ambulances).

All painted desert tan, seemed odd at Fort Polk.

LC

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
All painted desert tan, seemed odd at Fort Polk.
Polk is prob being used a a Mobilization point for Nat. Guard or Reserve Soldiers.

Their vehicles are painted for the Theater of Operation they will be deployed to.

Or it could be an active duty unit stationed a Polk that is headed over there.

Polk is prob being used a a Mobilization point for Nat. Guard or Reserve Soldiers.

Their vehicles are painted for the Theater of Operation they will be deployed to.

Or it could be an active duty unit stationed a Polk that is headed over there.
Yes, it figures. I only said that because I remember everything being OD there when I was young.

When I was a kid, our family and some good friends went to Ft. Polk once for Armed Forces Day, as they were having an open house. This was around 1970 or 71, at the height of the Vietnam War.

There were weapons and vehicle displays, and even a mock up of a Vietnamese village.

They had also set up mortars with dummy rounds, and had bird houses downrange. I got to drop a shell down the tube and the round landed right on one of the bird houses.

Funny how I can remember some things from over 40 years ago, and yet I forget things from last week.

LC

SMOKEWAGON66

M88's have got to be my favorite piece of heavy metal....that isnt a rolling cannon anyway lol...That big ass diesel engine sounds soooo cooool and when they drive by you know its an 88 by the way the earth shakes :)

....the roar they make always reminded me of a deuce on steroids :drool:

oldhatt

Whats even more amazing is when you get the HERC's.. They look brand new, but are all on 30+ year old M88 and M88A! chassis... They do some great work at the rebuild facility.
More like 40 plus years, in fact my vehicle in Korea 9B4425 (serial) was in service for one or two years before I got it and that was in 1963. For that matter so were the M113's we had there too.

ICAT

I was a recovery instructor at the Ground Mobility Division. I was luckly enough to conduct training on a M88A2 with the serial # H0001. What a great time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks