• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Serial help

hendrixjr

I have what I believe to be a '52 M38A1. I need some help locating on the vehicle where the serial # is. The only numbers I've found are cast on the engine: 646228-W-12-D-AR. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. The serial is only located in two places. One, on the main data plate cluster on the dash in front of the passesnger. Second, on the Willys builder plate, located on the sponson behind the driver seat.

Modan

Hi, I am new to the MV world. My title say's she is a 1955. There is no data plate on the dash in front of the passenger, but there is one behind the passenger seat (MD 11301). Hanged grill, battery box in cowl. I have posted some pictures on my page.

Thanks for any help.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi, I am new to the MV world. My title say's she is a 1955. There is no data plate on the dash in front of the passenger, but there is one behind the passenger seat (MD 11301). Hanged grill, battery box in cowl. I have posted some pictures on my page.

Thanks for any help.
Welcome. You are super lucky that plate was there, most of the time they are missing. The main data plate cluster for the dash is available new old stock (NOS) and a local engraver can engrave your serial number. Year of manufacture should be 1952 though based on that low serial.

Modan

Fording

Thanks for the info, this make's us ready to work on her. So how do I find out the color, style and numbers for her? I do know around what is used for a choke is the labeling that said pull out before Fording above the choke, and under it says push in after fording. This is going to be so cool. happy happy joy joy :}

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, color is Federal Specification 24087 for the truck and flat white for the numbers. Go to "militarystencils.com" for what your A1's stenciling should look like.

Choke goes right next to steering column. Fording control goes in the hole where the fording instruction plate is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks