• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parts And Radio

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hit the paydirt on some M37 stuff. Got some radio gear, some drive shafts, bunch of gaskets, bearings, seals, etc. and other stuff I haven’t identified yet. I got all of it from the same estate that I bought the M37 from. Pictures below. In one of the photos is a buckle with a ships anchors stamped in it. Would anyone have an idea what’s the story behind it?

Attachments

Last edited:

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need a better view of the radio data plates to determine what radio system (or parts of a system) you have. The radio manuals appear to be for a different system than what you have shown (GRC series radios from the Korean War era are what the manuals pertain to).

Nice collection of stuff to get with the truck. What are you going to do with it?

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ll get some better close ups. The radio set-up to the left is a PRC10 on top of a power source. As for what I’ll be doing with it, I’ll set aside those things that I’ll need for my M37 and sell/trade the rest. For now they’re sitting in the bed of the truck waiting for me to get through all the other stuff I need to get done before winter hits.

SturmTyger380

Cool that's the PRC-10 with the AM-598/U power supply. You have the correct Accessory Case as well. Will you mount that in your truck? I put one in my M38A1.

PRC-10 - M38A1.jpg

http://radionerds.com/index.php/AN~PRC-10

The PRC-10 is a tactical radio and does not have much range. They were introduced in the 1950's and served into the 1960's early on in Vietnam. Once they were in use in the jungle they found out they were not very suitable and were replaced by the PRC-25.

http://radionerds.com/index.php/AN~PRC-25

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For now, my plan is to use it on my Gun Truck War Wagon. I have a radio installed in it but it’s missing parts and is for show only. If I can get this working, I have 2 PRC-10 ground radios that will be able to communicate with each other. Other than for re-enactment scenarios, I don’t have a set use yet. I’ll find one dang quick tho. Maybe set one up to talk with “home” base while I’m in town for parades, shows, open houses, etc.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found some info on that anchor buckle. Seems there’s a company called “North and Judd”. They’ve been making stuff since the 1860’s and possibly even earlier than than. More than likely, my buckle was made for WW II and was finally placed in service for Korea/Vietnam. The pictures are of a spur made by the company and my equipment strap.

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That buckle is part of the AM/598/U power supply. Mine has the same strap. Keeps the radio from bouncing. I think those radios were good for a half mile when they were new, so don't get high expectations.

SturmTyger380

Jeff, looking back at the photos I am not seeing the mounting base for the AM/598/U. The power unit fits on a flange on the back of the mount and then the two T handles you screw down to hold it on the mount.

In your last photo inside the wheel I see some sort of canvas item. Is that a cover for the radio and power unit. Can we get more photos of that?

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a base for that part. Pictures below. The canvas part is also pictured below. It is part of the frame webbing for packing the PRC 10.

Attachments

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I can find the TM in my stack, I think I remember seeing such an item. It might have been a track TM... hmmm, now the bug has chomped my ear and I’ll have to start digging. I’ll let you know when/if I can find it again...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks