• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2018 Haspin Fall Mini-Rally

Shrapnel

Just a Hoosier stuck out west!
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You forgot Subaru as an option. :)

I may be down with the M1009 on Saturday.
I did forget the Subaru! That's Maa's most reliable wheeler!

I'll be arriving this evening. I'll be driving down from Indy area after work tonight. Don't know what time I'll arrive other than it will most likely be dark before I get there.

It looks like the weather will be decent with only minor chances of rain. The temperature Saturday is looking great! Can't wait for the cool-down.

Wire Fox

Dang, the scrap yard that was going to be supplying my transmission computer fell through. When they went to pull the part, they discovered that somebody had beaten them to it and neglected to tell anybody about it... They look to be the only major salvage yard in under a 100 miles that would have had the part.

If anybody happens to have nearby access to or already has a transmission computer for a 6.2L/6.5L diesel + 4L80E transmission, you'd be the key to getting me up and running properly for this weekend. Let me know if you have anything. Meanwhile, my search continues...

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ll be leaving in about 1/2 hour so I hope to be at Haspin around 10pm. See you guys when you get there.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got real busy all the sudden, I’ll be up with the kids tomorrow late afternoon to pester y’all for a few hours.

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The shelter by the pond was already taken, so I’m way back in the woods by the end of the red / orange marked trail.

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Beautiful morning! If you’re driving around the main fire trail to get to our campsite look for another large trail turning off that is marked with blue arrows. Follow that all the way down to the end and keep going when the trail narrows a bit. You’ll drive right by our campsite before you get on the red trail.If you don’t know the way just let me know when to expect you and I’ll come up to the main office area.

Attachments

Wire Fox

is this different than the day trip site?
It looks like where we visited last winter for the day trip, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

I'm hoping that one of the two you-pull scrap yard will have a transmission computer that I can snag up tonight. There's a few trucks of the right year listed in their inventory, but they don't specify if they're diesel or gas. Diesels have that standalone TCM, while the gassers seem to have a PCM that combines the TCM and ECU functions together. I think that some of the early gas engines also had the standalone TCM, but I can't confirm what models would have it.

Last edited:

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, my steering box just ripped off my frame. Anybody have a trailer they are bringing? I won’t be able to drive my M1009 home.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, my steering box just ripped off my frame. Anybody have a trailer they are bringing? I won’t be able to drive my M1009 home.
I’m in the middle of something for a few hrs, but I can unload mine and bring it up if you need me to and at least get it out of there. Is it on or near a main trail?

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me know if it’s easy to get to, I’ll just bring the pick up, that’ll be the quickest, or I can bring the 5 ton if we need to lift your frontend off the ground, and I have likely 1000’ of cable and straps, or I can bring the wife’s JKU Rubicon with junk tires to get way back in there, unless it’s muddy.

Or I could try throwing together a set of cables to weld off a slave port, but I’ve never played with that yet, and not sure if the rods I have would work worth a darn?

Last edited:

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got it back to the main trail. Wasn’t easy, but it’s easy to get to now.

Wire Fox

Wow, that's a lot rougher than my lack of TCM. Glad you're on the trail now and ready for a proper recovery.

As for me, 1 of 2 yards checked. Not a single one of the marks was a diesel. Only one even had a 4L80E in it. Ain't looking good...

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks