• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military antenna conversion to AM/FM car radio

Lazboytt

Hello,
I have done a lot of searching and have yet to find the answer.
I am looking to keep the original look of the military antenna but use it on an AM/FM car radio. Does anyone know how to do this or what may work?
I do not have any parts at this time or models in mind. Any help would be appreciated for a novice. If you know how to do a conversion a step by step detail on how you did the conversion would be appreciated.

I am going for the look in the attached picture.
Your help is appreciated.

MBCOTM%202.jpg

Wire Fox

You're receive-only with a standard AM/FM radio, so you don't really have to worry much about impedance matching or the like...you just have to ensure that the antenna base doesn't have some kind of filter actively blocking out signals.

nattieleather

You're receive-only with a standard AM/FM radio, so you don't really have to worry much about impedance matching or the like...you just have to ensure that the antenna base doesn't have some kind of filter actively blocking out signals.
I agree with Wire Fox that just about any military antenna will work because you are in receive mode only. **** a coat hanger or a random length of wire will work. The only thing you may have to look for is an adapter to go from the coax connector on the feed cable to the antenna port on the radio...or make up your own feed cable to have the right connector. I think the hardest part of this will be mounting a civilian radio into the HMMWV and making it look good.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The AS-3900’s in the picture are designed for 30-88 MHz so they are not far off. You’ll be fine for rx only.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lowell, Your antenna looks like an AS-3916. Same 30-88 MHz as an AS-3900. It should work just fine.

Looks like a rugged little unit. How are you going to get power to the radio? Is it 12-24volt?

lowell66dart

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually got the oysters at a little combo grocery/deli/bar 1/2 mile from home. $12 a dozen loaded with cheese!

The radio is in and reception is great. I live between New Orleans and Baton Rouge. 40 miles either way. I was pulling in stations from both cities inside of my metal shop. I am very satisfied.

One hitch. When I went to connect 24 volt power to the converter it sparked like it was shorted. I noticed that there were scratches on both mounting flanges when I took it out of the box this morning. Some dirtbag fried it and returned it. Another one on the way.IMG_0997.jpgIMG_0998.jpg

Lazboytt

Did you have to make any modifications to the base for the antenna? some posts say you have to bypass some of the circuitry inside of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks