• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 start issues

Barry kvfd

I am with a volunteer fire dept. and we have recently accquired a m1078 lmtv. I had a problem with the headlights not working and found a re-setable circuit breaker tripped. I reset the breaker and fixed the headlights. Now i have a problem with it not cranking when I hit the start button. It does not do anything at all. I have noticed that the shift panel is blank. The "N" is not lit up on the panel. Could this be the trans control module stopping it from starting? It shows a little over 24 volts on the gauge but does not click or anything when i push the start button.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. The WTEC controller has to be powered up "Lit N" in order to allow engine cranking. Take a look in the PDP (fuse box) for other breakers that are tripped or not seated well. The breaker locations are on a decal on the cover. The WTEC control has two breakers if I recall.

Barry kvfd

i checked all of the circuit breakers and all seem to be good. Earlier when I was working on the headlights, I was wiggling 1 of the 3 switches for the lights and noticed that the "n" on the shift panel would go off and come back on. I tried it again but it now stays off.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is your problem. By switches I assume you mean breakers? Remove the one you were wiggling (associated with WTEC control) and check it with an ohmmeter. If it is defective, you can replace it with a same amp breaker from an unneeded circuit like "warning light" or "radio".

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wait, by three switches are you talking about the military light switch with 3 levers? If yes, your problem could be related to poor grounding of the WTEC keypad controller. Run a new ground wire to the controller/keypad and see if that resolves the issue.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Run an entirely new wire from a good ground location to one of the screws that attach the WTEC to the dash.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks