• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 TC PTO question

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The transfer case on the back of my M35A3, has the 6 bolt cover over the rear of the input shaft, driven by the transmission. Bearings are under the cover, but is there a splined coupling? Is there a PTO that comes off of the TC on a deuce, off the back of that primary input shaft?

I believe 5 ton wreckers are driven from that location, but I'm not familiar with the deuce.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes there is. It is quite difficult to find. There is a collar that is attached to the spline shaft, make sure you get it when buying the PTO. Also, there is an oil line that feeds the bearings in the PTO that is attached to the bottom of the transfer, you need that as well.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have any idea what horsepower that the PTO portion could deliver?

I have the PTO on the tranny and this doesn't appear to be a lot heavier duty. Allison says up to 45hp with lubed bearings, but I wouldn't want to sustain that much.

I'm wondering about power for a saw or something. One of the coolest sawmills I watched was a Caddy with the pig welded and driveshaft from the axle to the 6'blade. He cruised at 90 mph and downshifted at maybe 75 in tough wide white oak, but it was the most efficient use of the engine and auto tranny that I have seen.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would guess the entire output of the LDT, about 100 horses? RPM is same as engine in 4th. This PTO drives water pumps on the fire truck and fueler, and hydraulic pump on the 108.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
One of the reasons pipeline construction bodies were built for the m35 series was that they could be equipped with a full engine torque power take off on the transfer case, while the GMC m211 could only be equipped with a PTO that delivered 30% torque.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to find the part that attaches to the transfer case (only)....does anyone have one? Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks