• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tom's Overdrive kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustystud

Hello all.
Well I finally pulled the trigger and bought "Tom's Overdrive Kit". It came the other day and all I have to say is WOW !!!
This is one nice kit!
I spent most of my 40 plus years working on trucks as a "gear man" . Transmissions, differentials, transfer-cases and auxiliary drives. In that amount of time you see all kinds of things and the quality of parts from the best to the worst.
This kit is in the "best" category ! The quality of machining work is excellent !
My machinist couldn't figure out how Tom could sell it for this low of a price, considering the quality of work.
I talked with Tom for a while and found out he is getting ready to "pack it in" . He is now 72 years old and ready to enjoy life ! So that means no more quality overdrive kits for a good price kids !
I'm planning on buying another one as soon as funds come in.
Here's some pictures of my new kit.

3053 overdrive kit 002.jpg3053 overdrive kit 003.jpg3053 overdrive kit 004.jpg
3053 overdrive kit 005.jpg3053 overdrive kit 006.jpg

Hopefully this winter I will have the time to rebuild a spare transmission in my new shop !
I forgot to mention, that' not rust but cosmolene on the parts.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.................This kit is in the "best" category ! The quality of machining work is excellent !.......
I can attest that Tom is a perfectionist; he wouldn't accept anything less...!
It took several years (and lots of money) to get these gears and parts from "barely satisfactory" to the "very good" category, at least.

For the new readers who want to know a bit more about the history of this kit, here is Tom's thread...

G.

rustystud

I installed Tom's kit and could not be happier. Yes, it costs money but you get what you pay for.
I talked with Tom again and no one has ordered any kits since mine. You guys do realize once he retires there will never be any more right ?
I'm buying one more just to have on hand. I don't want to be the guy a few years from now that says "boy I wished I had bought one of those kits, now it's to late" . I really kick myself for not buying more Hydra-Matic rebuild kits. I could buy complete master rebuild kits for $50.00. Now you pay almost $400.00 for an "almost half" rebuild kit. Bands where only $20.00 each. Now there over $100.00 and slightly rusty. Those that prepared are reaping the benefits.
Just saying something to think about.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be great if someone with Tom's skill set could take over and continue the product line, rather than seeing it all retired and disappearing. Maybe there is a business opportunity for someone.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea sad that Tom is slowing down and looks like a great product. Think most are stepping up to 5 tons and all the newer stuff 939 series and FMTV's plus seems like Deuce owners are ok with using the Deuce for local stuff and not worried about higher highway speeds. I still have two Deuces but don't drive them much and when I do I am on back roads doing 45/50.

rustystud

Yea sad that Tom is slowing down and looks like a great product. Think most are stepping up to 5 tons and all the newer stuff 939 series and FMTV's plus seems like Deuce owners are ok with using the Deuce for local stuff and not worried about higher highway speeds. I still have two Deuces but don't drive them much and when I do I am on back roads doing 45/50.
Maybe your right. I guess people aren't as interested in the deuce as they where before.

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all.
Well I finally pulled the trigger and bought "Tom's Overdrive Kit". It came the other day and all I have to say is WOW !!!
This is one nice kit!
I spent most of my 40 plus years working on trucks as a "gear man" . Transmissions, differentials, transfer-cases and auxiliary drives. In that amount of time you see all kinds of things and the quality of parts from the best to the worst.
This kit is in the "best" category ! The quality of machining work is excellent !
My machinist couldn't figure out how Tom could sell it for this low of a price, considering the quality of work.
I talked with Tom for a while and found out he is getting ready to "pack it in" . He is now 72 years old and ready to enjoy life ! So that means no more quality overdrive kits for a good price kids !
I'm planning on buying another one as soon as funds come in.
Here's some pictures of my new kit.

View attachment 739841View attachment 739842View attachment 739843
View attachment 739844View attachment 739845

Hopefully this winter I will have the time to rebuild a spare transmission in my new shop !
I forgot to mention, that' not rust but cosmolene on the parts.
How do I go about possibly ordering one these kits??

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed one of Tom's overdrive transmissions and one of his power steering units on my M109a3 Airforce deuce and it is a different truck. Great guy, I pestered him almost daily when we were installing both, and he walked us through the process. Now I am thinking about buying another while they are available.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rusty, due to your words here I decided it was time I buy one of Tom's overdrive kits (I had been wanting one for years). But it looks like I took two weeks too many to decide to invest in it. His overdrive webpage worked a few days ago, but not now. So I called a spoke to Tom personally and he told me the transmission overdrive kits are discontinued (too expensive of an investment, not enough interest and never profitable).

Dang, I'm pretty bummed out for missing (and for Tom).

Last edited:

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Too bad. Price on these kits just went up big time I bet for someone who wants them.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Too bad. Price on these kits just went up big time I bet for someone who wants them.
Not really for me. I’d have to know the seller REALLY WELL to be COMPLETELY assured that the kit wasn’t missing any pieces. A kit this custom, if you’re missing one single piece the whole kit would be useless (IMO: it would cost way too much to try and have the unknown missing piece made).

rustystud

Rusty, due to your words here I decided it was time I buy one of Tom's overdrive kits (I had been wanting one for years). But it looks like I took two weeks too many to decide to invest in it. His overdrive webpage worked a few days ago, but not now. So I called a spoke to Tom personally and he told me the transmission overdrive kits are discontinued (too expensive of an investment, not enough interest and never profitable).

Dang, I'm pretty bummed out for missing (and for Tom).
Rats ! I was hoping to buy one more for me ! I should have keep my mouth shut until I had bought both of them.
It is sad too. This is a great kit and even if you could have a friendly machine shop do the work it would cost way over what he was selling them for. I did warn you guys though. I should have warned myself first though !

rustystud

Talked with Tom today. Yep their all gone ! He told me he lost over $100.00 on each kit he sold. Now if anyone wants to make up more kits they will cost well over $2000.00 each ! Minimum order at the gear shop was 30 units. That is going to be hard to come up with that kind of money and then try and sell them. Not many people can come up with $2000.00 for just a transmission "upgrade" !
Another era has passed us by.

yolner

Well that's disappointing. I was just trying to figure out how to fit one into the budget.

EDIT: I guess it's part of a pattern. The way the traffic on this forum has dropped off it's making me worried that in a few years there won't be much of a community left and these trucks will end up scrapped :( Well at least my stash of parts keeps on going up in price.

Last edited:

rustystud

Hey Tom.
You took your website down so fast I was unable to download the instructions for the second gear modification. Can you or someone else post that picture ?
Thanks.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be nice if Tom "bundled" the design drawings, suppliers, web page design, etc, and offered it for sale to some of the established vendors (hint hint)?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks